Introduction

mrjox93

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time now so its about time i introduced myself. Im 25 years old, British citizen, 5ft6, love food, romantic, abit shy first time :p but all joking aside, Ill be putting in my application shortly. *text deleted* have been out of the UK for the past 3 1/2 years, first year travelling Thailand/Philippines/Laos. And the rest running a little backpackers hostel i opened in chiang mai, Thailand. Sold up a few months ago, just got back to the UK and getting ready for marines!

Yesterday i read on another post about complications regarding the 5 year residency rule. I called the royal marines recruitment line for some more info and the lady wasn't too sure so referred me to the AFCO. Going to call tomorrow and get it cleared up (bank holiday today). Hopefully its not going to be too lengthy. Ninja, if your reading this i'd love to hear your thoughts. Only documents i have about my stay in Thailand is my passport with the stamps, my work permit which has my address on, and my company registration which shows me as director. But for the first year over there i just went from hostel to hostel which would make it a nightmare retrieving all the addresses.

Thanks for reading

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

As a Brit Passport holder you should be able to get a residency waiver if you can provide the detail required, including a list of addresses and dates whilst overseas and a very recent clean police-check printout. A couple of references (in English) should also help speed things along.

The more bits missing, the longer the wait for SC unfortunately as I'm fairly sure there's no reciprocal security agreement with UK and your country of employment (I could be mistaken).

Presumably, you'll be put in touch with an oppo of mine who runs the overseas desk at AFCO London, initially. He'll point you in the right direction.

mrjox93

Reaction score
Thanks for that ninja, called my AFCO yesterday and they filled me in. Is there a way i can message you? i noticed today this tread is "no questions". Cant seem to find a option to send a message to you anywhere.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I lived abroad for a few years too, and like you I didn’t have a fixed address for a while, so long as your character and professional references are bombers your residency waiver shouldn’t be too much of an issue. The Afco will square you away