Introduction

SupportiveMum

Reaction score
Hello, We're British and living in Germany. We a have a 17 year old son (18 in Oct). He's currently living away from home at a College in the UK doing a BTec Level 3 Public Services. He's starting his RM's application in October. Both his Dad and I are fully on board and support his decision. He has no Plan B. Hoping that his time living in Europe and Asia and living away from us for the last 9 months will serve him well. Maths is his weak point and we've a dodgy looking toe to get through the medical. Arming myself with as much information as possible and preparing to never sleep soundly again!:)

ALDL9RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's good that you're fulling backing his decision, wish I got that!

D

dodgyknees

Parental support is everything so it's great that you are on board.

My son applied while my wife and I were in Germany so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Best of luck to you all through his application and selection, it can be a bit of a roller coaster!

SupportiveMum

Reaction score
Parental support is everything so it's great that you are on board.

My son applied while my wife and I were in Germany so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Best of luck to you all through his application and selection, it can be a bit of a roller coaster!
Many thanks, you might regret that offer! Good luck to your Son.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hoping that his time living in Europe and Asia and living away from us for the last 9 months will serve him well.
Welcome to the site.

If he was living overseas for more than 180 days in the five years prior to making an application to join, he will need a residency waiver to gain Security Clearance before he can join.

To help speed things along he will need a police check print-out, a list of dates and addreses and ideally a couple of references from employment, education or people he stayed with to verify his whereabouts overseas, his integrity, reliability & employability potential.

SupportiveMum

Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

If he was living overseas for more than 180 days in the five years prior to making an application to join, he will need a residency waiver to gain Security Clearance before he can join.

To help speed things along he will need a police check print-out, a list of dates and addreses and ideally a couple of references from employment, education or people he stayed with to verify his whereabouts overseas, his integrity, reliability & employability potential.
Thanks Ninja_Stoker
I would imagine the police check print-out should be dated as close to application date as possible? How does he go about obtaining a residency waiver to gain his Security Clearance? Is this something he will need to go into the careers office for with his paperwork?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Thanks Ninja_Stoker
I would imagine the police check print-out should be dated as close to application date as possible? How does he go about obtaining a residency waiver to gain his Security Clearance? Is this something he will need to go into the careers office for with his paperwork?
Yes, he needs the police check print from the counties he's been living in after or near to the time he leaves. EU countries aren't so much of an issue but apart from Commonwealth Asian countries, there may not be a reciprocal security exchange agreement with UK, so it's a good idea if he wants to significantly reduce his wait to gain SC. If he's visiting China, for example, he can expect SC to take 6-12 months on average - even with a residency waiver.

Ideally, once back in UK he needs to get his application underway as soon as possible and SC started from the outset via his AFCO - they'll apply for the residency waiver as soon as he produces the required documentation.

SupportiveMum

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to respond Ninja_Stoker. We were in India for two years and returned to UK six years ago, so that should be OK as outside of the five years. We've been in Germany for the last three years. He's registered as a resident here but has been studying in the UK since Sept last year, so I think its just his German refs and police check (all in English) to get. I'm not sure he was aware of this, so thanks again.