Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Carl13, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Carl13

Carl13 New Member

Old and bold interested in training tips, I have applied but my age may REALLY go against me

I am a former regular soldier and current Army reserve soldier looking at RMR

I am ancient 37 but I was told that this may not be an issue...doubt it but my application is in

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Hate to be a prophet of doom but unless already Commando qualified or you have a sought-after skillset as an NCO/SNCO employed within the RMR in a permanent staff billet, it is unlikely anyone over age 32 would routinely be considered for entry into the RMR as a recruit.

3. Carl13

Carl13 New Member

I thought as much.. I even spoke to the recruiter on the online chat and asked them to state that it would be accepted and that I was within the age limit... or else I wouldn’t have bothered with the application.

There really is a disconnect there that needs to be addressed

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Yep, agreed. The problem is that there's always an exception to the rule as there'll be someone who is AACC or RFCC qualified or someone who is maybe ex-UKSF but not Commando qualified. What tends to happen is loads of people will know about an exception to the rule but not know the specific individual circumstances and assume things maybe different to what they actually are.

There was recently an RMR NCO who was mistakenly advising over age candidates there wasn't an issue. There was no intent to mislead but half the story was not understood.

5. Carl13

Carl13 New Member

I did state the exact state of play with them.

Oh well... lesson learned, too late for me I was caught in the travelling to build my career and couldnt dedicate the time when I was younger.... but to the younger ones on here Don’t put it off