Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by pingudon, Mar 20, 2019.

1. pingudon

pingudon New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi everyone,

This will be my second time applying for the Royal Marines Commandos, I'm 24 and have just had cataracts surgery, I've been advised by my local careers office to wait a year to recover, I'm using that time wisely to get fitness ready and starring with the 12 week program found on the recruitment website.

I'm curious if anyone else has had cataract or any kind of eye surgery, and if they have had any complications with their application because of it?

Thanks all

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Welcome to the site.

Assuming you obtained definitive advice from the Service Entry Medical Cell (SEMC) via your AFCO, all well and good.

However, the Joint Service Publication indicates that cataracts and cataract surgery can be a significant issue with regard medical suitability for service.

My only worry is that a member of staff at your local AFCO may have assumed the usual post-laser eye surgery period applies, not perhaps realising it isn't the same as laser correctivec eyesight surgery.

Hopefully I am compleyely wrong and they are correct. But, my advice is to write to your AFCO requesting confirmation your query regarding cataract surgery and medical suitability for service was verified by SEMC.

3. pingudon

pingudon New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you for getting back to me, I've looked into the Joint Service Publication since you've mentioned it, it's quite hard to determine in some areas whether I may be affected or not.

After looking through the forums some more, I've found you mentioned that you can request a medical before filling out the application form, is this something I can do, if so this may answer a lot for me and determine whether I have my second eye operated on or not.

Thank you for all the information you've provided!