Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.
  1. ConnorManc

ConnorManc New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Alright lads.

Started an app about 2 months ago and it's going well, passed my psychometric test, got my interview booked for the 19th June, and just had my triage call (TMU) following some broken ribs a few years back- not really worried about it.

I'm up North at the minute, so plenty of hill work prepping for the PJFT and PRMC (And because I fu*text deleted*ing love it.)

Been a personal trainer for a year, and got bored training with people that can't really be arsed when it comes to it, so am now looking to get me a green lid. Also got some experience in various martial arts if anyone here is that way inclined?

Would also be very interested to hear from everyone else!

Cheers

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

A warm welcome to the site, we hope you find it useful.

Best of luck.

3. BillyTheKid

BillyTheKid Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    welcome mate, word of advice, it would be worth starting a 3 month training diary now incase capita ask for one in the near future regarding your ribs. Takes 10 mins a day to fill in and will save you a headache if it comes to it.

4. ConnorManc

ConnorManc New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I've been creeping on the site for a while, but now my apps in and making progress thought I'd get involved. It's been a massive help to me and was largely where I made my decision to get my application started.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ConnorManc

ConnorManc New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Yeah that makes sense mate I'll do that- have you had the same problem?

I got an email about 30 mins after my triage call with a date for a face to face medical, following from the nurse saying there's a good chance it will get fast tracked. Any idea on whether that's a good thing or something to get worried about?

6. BillyTheKid

BillyTheKid Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yeah I had an issue with a lower leg injury and started a diary, filled in each day with a GPS app for evidence etc and backed up my case which was reviewed by someone that you dont meet face to face. In my situation i was declared TMU at the time.

So unless this happens which i doubt it will you should be sound anyway

7. ConnorManc

ConnorManc New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    How long ago was that pal? I've started a training diary, and my runs are already tracked from my Fitbit (got it as a gift, honest..) so hopefully all goes well, I'll update after my medical on the 20th.

@BillyTheKid are you waiting for a PRMC date now then?

8. ConnorManc

ConnorManc New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Alright lads

Been quiet for a few days, got rushed into hospital because my bloody appendix burst.

Ive had keyhole surgery and am a bit rough at the minute, and also massively gutted because its was the day before my interview and I had my medical booked the day after that.

Ive been given 6 weeks to recover from the hospital, and 12 weeks to get back to "normal" but my training was pretty intense beforehand.

Does anyone have any advice on when i'll be back training to prmc standard? Or been through something similar?

Its not put me off at all, just made me hungry for it and realise how *text deleted* it is sitting here doing nothing!

9. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

I hope you feel better soon mate

10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Others better qualified than I will answer questions about post-op training but I'll make one observation:

As the body repairs itself after surgery or significant injury it expends considerable amounts of calories. Focus on eating a decent, balanced diet.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

@ConnorManc

Recovery time isn’t huge, provided you don’t pick up any infections.

The main risk following appendix surgery is developing a hernia. This is more likely after straining or lifting heavy things which would increase the pressure.

I would certainly avoid swimming, don't want to get an infection in the wound. Even if it is keyhole, you need that dry & clean.

You need to start brisklywalking, and when that doesn't hurt at all, slowly go back to running and build from there. I'm sure that would be in less than 6-8 weeks. Your health is more important- don’t rush and wreck yourself. The RM is going nowhere!!

But you might want to ask my esteemed colleague @The guide who can shed light on the JSP standards. I’ve a feeling you would not be deemed fit for service until a year post surgery?

Edit to cc in @Ninja_Stoker

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  12. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

Already replied to his other half , who asked the question the day (or day after) the appendix issue) @ConnorManc

• Like Like x 1
  13. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

@The guide Yep, roger oppo.

Oh dear.

@ConnorManc Please use the search function in future. Those of us on here that are in a position to provide you with educated advice don’t enjoy repeating ourselves. It’s a waste of everyone’s time.

Also if you get an answer you do not like, do not keep asking the same question in order to get a different answer.

14. ConnorManc

ConnorManc New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Cheers for the advice lads appreciate it.

I'm always eating well anyway, even more now to speed this process up!

Yeah swimming is defiitley off the cards for a bit. Think I'm going to have to see what the gp says as for recovery with training and take each day as it comes for now.

I didn't even know the misses had posted, been in hospital the last few days and barely spoke to her- shes probably posted worrying. I hadn't seen a thread about it, and the searches didn't show anything for appendicitus but I guess I'll have to do more digging next time.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A purely anecdotal comment here. Having sustained multiple fractures a couple of years back after a big, white van clumped me off my road bike I felt exhausted and washed out. It's often a natural reaction to the amount of energy one's body expends in fixing itself.

16. BillyTheKid

BillyTheKid Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Only just seen this as ive been away on holiday, best wishes @ConnorManc just rest up and slowly ease back into training when doctors give you to go ahead.