Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Sniper11!, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Sniper11!

Sniper11! New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Evening all.

Former full time Sniper in the RAF Reg considering getting back into the fight in RMR. Thoroughly enjoyed my time as a regular and miss it a lot but have always felt I never reached my potential. Also massively miss the commraderie and bonds formed with oppos and feel I have a lot to offer. Looking back, and despite working with some fantastic blokes and soldiers, if I had my time again I'd probably go Royals from the off.

My current circumstances make full time unsuitable but RMR looks like it could be the perfect balance for me at this stage in life.

Looks like this is the place for gen, read some great posts so thanks already and cheers in advance!

• Like Like x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  2. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

E22EC070-CD0E-4344-BDFB-D50B80C9EC1D.jpeg
    I thought you said you were a Rockape ;)

Ok it’s all out of my system now!! I swear.
    Welcome along and best of luck.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sniper11!

Sniper11! New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I've got to admit I didn't expect to hear or see any new Rockape related jokes but I havnt seen that one, fair one.

Thanks for the welcome

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  4. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I take it you've cracked the 5 miler of death? :)

Alan

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  5. Sniper11!

Sniper11! New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yes mate, very much a part of the 'big 3' I was

RAF Reg dont do themselves any favours. It's either really good blokes
    that bag their own regiment or drop kicks that Walt and wear 'the real 2 para' shirts. I worked with some proper gash Army regiments when I was in and even they tried to bag us. Retention is hard when there is no kudos

Still, great experience and onwards and upwards, on the hunt for a green lid now

• Like Like x 2
  6. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

Some of my mates in the RAF were Regiment guys working in Mountain Rescue and at Wittering / Gutersloh all top blokes , proffesional as you like , but let down by their own service over egging it a tad!! Afghan did them no real favours sadly despite it being the opportunity to do so, but again when I went to the Corps they could have not been more help in the GDT section, welcome mate and good luck with the RMR I am sure they will welcome your skill set and you will enjoy it, ( maybe enjoy CTC is the wrong word .

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  7. Sniper11!

Sniper11! New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Agreed!

Thanks for the welcome mate

8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I took a squiz at the official Rockape recruitment site. Astonished at the upper age limit. :eek:

Screenshot 2019-09-06 at 17.07.32.png

@Sniper11! In reality are there many forty-seven-year-old Recruits?

Edited to add: Inevitably the internet algorithms have now plastered my social media with RAF Recruitment ads.

Screenshot 2019-09-06 at 17.33.06.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  9. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

4A3139D9-A7B8-4070-B748-84C3F3B9E935.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  10. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Rock, How long did you have in?

11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Johnny_Anonie I'd argue that my screenshot of the RAF Recruitment ads now plastered across every webpage I browse definitely blackcats your meme.

What twisted mind creates a recruitment ad depicting two characters joyfully moving bog rolls about on a pallet trolley? :confused: It's hardly living the dream.

The positive for me is that the relentless funeral plan and erectile dysfunction ads have been shunted off my screen for a few days.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Sniper11!

Sniper11! New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    5 years, I got out when Afghan shut down thinking I was going to settle with my then Mrs. Obviously she's nowhere to be seen now and it was a flawed plan, although I've done some cool sh1t since getting out. And met my now wife whilst in Aus.

I felt under used and the pride I felt after getting badged slowly ebbed away with every conversation I had with mates in more prestigious units, regardless of the fact I was in a sniper section with 5 other blokes that could've served in any regular unit. Don't get me wrong the sniper course is nails whatever got you're in and it's probably the proudest day of my life getting badged (don't tell the Mrs).

I'm sure when I joined the upper age was 32 or possibly 35, retention must be worse than I thought. I had a 32 year old ex pongo on my basics and never heard of anyone in the training flights above or below having anyone older.

13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Genuinely amazed that someone can begin an infantry role RT at age forty-eight. From a forum point of view it is genuinely informative. From time-to-time the forum gets inquiries from those aged over thirty-three years of age who aspire to a regular service career.

It might be considered heresy in some circles but as I've stated elsewhere I truly believe that the merit always lies with the man rather than with the unit.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. Sniper11!

Sniper11! New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    That's a very good point, thank you.

Dont get me wrong I'm proud to have served, I'm proud of what I acheived and I think the Regiment is much better than the rest of the forces would have people believe, but it's hard to have pride in your cap badge when everyone including the blokes IN the regiment bag it.

I'm certainly looking forward to the possibility of being able to say I've earnt my green lid, instead of whispering RAF Reg under my breath when talking about my service. Not that I think it'll make me a better soldier because the beret Is a different colour but because of the other people wearing that beret and the people that have worn that beret since 1664.

If that all makes sense.

15. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

My only pickup is the term being 'badged'

There's only one badged in the RM and it comes with a special order pixelated face.

You do seem considerably more humble than previous rock apes I've had to endure though, so welcome aboard and get stuck in

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  16. Sniper11!

Sniper11! New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet