Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.
  1. highland_blue89

highland_blue89 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Currently have an application in for the Royal Marine Reserves in Scotland.

I have passed the NRST and have my interview this Monday (22nd Nov).

Will be using this site to hoover as much information as I can going forward.

I have worked closely with the Navy in the past, as I worked as part of the submarine fleet Degaussing team based in Rosneath. Currently employed as a Radar Test Engineer for Aviation.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Welcome, we hope you find the site useful and best of luck. Feel free to shout out if you have any queries along the way. Degaussing is a subject close to my heart, particularly having served on a MCMV where every item of kit had to be ranged before crossing the gang way ;)

3. highland_blue89

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    I also did the MCMV's, which enabled us a few trips to Bahrain. I wish the crew of the Hunts didn't carry so much gym kit as they had to be removed in the Gulf heat prior to ranging!

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Yep, considering everything on an operational Hunt is supposed to be non-magnetic, including the plastic hull, aluminium engines and the bronze anchors, chains and even spanners, it always surprised me the bubbleheads (Divers) used cast-iron weightlifting kit :)

5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

As an aside the shipyard I worked at (Philip & Son Ltd, Dartmouth) built the RRS Research after the Great War. Its mission was to map the planet's magnetic field.
    Looking at the specification documents even the galley cutlery and the nails in the boots of the crew were non-magnetic.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  6. highland_blue89

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Bringing a spanner on board an MCMV would change the vessels signature. The size of the cables used to control the magnetic signatures of these vessels were tiny, incredible really. It is an interesting subject and it was an excellent job. Just a shame it was purely defence funded, the wages were criminal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1