Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Lucky21, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Lucky21

Lucky21 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hello Everyone,

I want to join the royal marines really bad as its been my dream my entire life. However, i am currently about to start my third and final year of college before i go off too uni. I just want to know whether there is a point of me joining my local rmr unit or just to wait until after uni and then join the regular royal marines as an officer. I would join the rmr while i'm at uni but i don't think there is a rmr unit at nottingham and i don't see the point of doing the uotc at uni if i then plan on joining the marines.

2. Mattys

Mattys Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I understand it’s your dream but I would just concentrate on your schooling as a priority.
    This question seems to get asked a lot on here “should I do rmr while at uni” the amount of work you will have to do such as classes and revision etc there would be so much pressure on you to do both at the same time and the reserves isn’t really something to be treated as a hobby to pass time until you wish to do the regular.

You say you have 1 year left of college left then your going to uni which is for how long 3/4 years?

So you have what 4+ years left of schooling before you get to a point of applying? Anything can change between now and in that time frame just concentrate on your schooling and when you get closer to finishing that then I’d go ahead and think more of the marines as a career where you can be 100% committed with nothing in the way in the mean time.

good luck

3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Welcome.

Why not? UOTC (in all service flavours) offers opportunities beyond the bread-roll-throwing activities of a universty dining society. :)