Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.
  1. ManOfSteelDrago

ManOfSteelDrago New Member

Gents,

I am currently in the joining process having just completed and passed my interview. RMR is the option of choice due to work and university commitments and future potential in my civilian career.

Used to train at the gym 5 days a week with no cardio (until COVID happened), though my theory was always "what can you do if you can't pick yourself up off the ground", so looking forward to training with a purpose.

I'm a surfer, scuba diver, rugby player/swimmer/sailing (in my school days), novice guitar player and general adventurist.

Looking forward to the road ahead.

Cheers for reading,
    MOS/Steel

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mattys

Mattys Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hello welcome to the site!

What you studying in uni?

Have you done any running or is it just the cardio you’ve stated?
    What’s your current stats like?

Have always been interested in scuba diving but never done it! Ever got lucky and found something of value (treasure) !?

Looking at when you joined you must be in your mid 20s at least?

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  3. ManOfSteelDrago

Thanks for the welcome Mattys!

I haven't ran since my rugby days all those 10 years ago at school (I'm 28), so running is a struggle, but I enjoy fitness and taking on the challenge now. My careers advisor was worried about my fitness as I did 4 x 15kg weighted runs first time back and ended up with issues with my knees & hips, then my achilles. Safe to say I've now recovered and doing non-weighted runs. Distance is an issue, currently start/stopping across 5km completed recently in 40mins the goal being to complete it in 24mins as a minimum. Though my run is through woodlands, on gravel, grassland and tarmac and inclines/declines, so all terrain. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Scuba diving is great fun, no treasure unfortunately, mainly picking up crap that people leave behind to clear up the sea beds! Did a night wreck dive covered in sea urchins which was pretty fun, though diving with a pod of dolphins has to be the best experience so far.

Currently studying Quantity Surveying and working as a Trainee QS for a house builder and I absolutely love it. I was meant to enlist in 2012, though I ended up trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life and only got there a couple of years ago. It's good when you finally find that thing and your work will also support you through being a reserve as well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mattys

Mattys Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    That’s no problem

Ohh I see so you going to probably have the same wake up call I did which wasn’t to good!Haha
    Gee don’t advertise on here you been running with weight you’ll get ripped to death!
    Everyone starts from somewhere so keep at it and you can only improve everytime you go out and run and yeah if your doing it over that sort of terrain with hills it’s going to make a massive difference to your overall time aswell as make it a lot harder!

Agh that’s to bad then I’ve been watching discovery channel to much!
    Does sound like fun have you only did this in the UK of have you done it in other countries where the water is actually clear and not full of tyres and just plain rubbish!?

That sounds good and it’s good you enjoy it as not many roles/jobs people do can say that!
    Yeah that is very good you never know ay you could become a reserve and think you’d like to give the regulars ago who knows!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Smurfy0103

Smurfy0103 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Welcome to the forum @ManOfSteelDrago. Hopefully you find some useful info on here.

Which RMR det are you applying to? And better late than never in applying for the RM.

In terms of your fitness - it will come with practice, effort and time. It really is important to not do too much too soon. I think most people are guilty of it! I was very similar to you in my exercise regime before applying to RMR, in that I mainly trained weights without much cardio. The only exception was a lot of static bike intervals because I do a lot of mountain biking and it keeps my legs whirring. There are plenty of potential recruits working on their fitness which will be on a similar par to us. Just make the most of the help and info on here and you'll get there before you know it.

I'm in the same industry and similar age to you too. Not a QS (im a former Contracts Manager and now a Construction Planner). Be good to keep up with your journey and see how we both get on.

And scuba diving looks awesome. I'm only brave enough for snorkelling which ive done many a time!

Best of luck with the rest of your application buddy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ManOfSteelDrago

I'll try my best not to dig my grave on the forums! Yeah, I have a tendency to train on anything but tarmac, it's nice to run on all kinds of terrain, I never like making things easy for myself when it comes to training.

Did most of my diving in Egypt and Malaysia, lived all around the world so lots of interesting things to see in clearer waters. I was hoping to see some hidden treasure!.. though just a load of cans and plastic bags unfortunately ahah

As far as I am aware I will be at HMS Forward (Birmingham) due to the locality. I'm still a bit lacking on details at the moment so I really need to go down to the det and check it out. I believe my CA is getting in contact to make them aware and pass on any details about doing so, as well as joining Tuesday training sessions. Quarantine gave me good time for thinking and I know it will be good for me.

Indeed, I need to do what I did when I started training weights and start low and build myself up, rather than trying to train too much. I want to run everyday, unfortunately my body doesn't allow me to do so *text deleted* and with gyms closed I can't do some weights on my cardio off days, in a bit of a pickle there.

Used to downhill biking as a kid, though I went over my handle bars after hitting a tree trunk and I wasn't quite as brave as I was and it slowly faded away like a member of the Marvel universe.

Nice to see another in a similar position to myself, like you say better late than never! I will make sure to keep you posted to see how we are getting on. Have you only recently applied/joined and which det are you with? or have you been long enlisted? And many thanks for the support pal.