Introduction

Lukew42

Reaction score
Hello,
Just looking into joining up full time, have been a reservist for the past 6 years but always wanted to get involved full time.

Just have a few questions if anyone can help? I have a mortgage and a Mrs what happens regarding posting can you request what commando unit you go to if all goes well? Also what is the pay during training. Not doing this for the money obviously but mortgage needs to be paid haha.

Cheers for your help fellas

Foxx

Reaction score
I believe as usual it's the corps' needs when being posted to a Unit, but you get to choose a preference, doesn't mean you'll get it though mate!

future-commando

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,
Just looking into joining up full time, have been a reservist for the past 6 years but always wanted to get involved full time.

Just have a few questions if anyone can help? I have a mortgage and a Mrs what happens regarding posting can you request what commando unit you go to if all goes well? Also what is the pay during training. Not doing this for the money obviously but mortgage needs to be paid haha.

Cheers for your help fellas

Are you going for officer or regular? I'm pretty sure regs get 18k salary during RT. Which is 1300 a month give or take after tax.

Lukew42

Reaction score
Are you going for officer or regular? I'm pretty sure regs get 18k salary during RT. Which is 1300 a month give or take after tax.
Just going regular 18k isn't as bad as I thought to be honest don't really spend much when I've been on training before so imagine it's the same. Do you get meals free during training or does it come out the pay?

Foxx

Reaction score
Just going regular 18k isn't as bad as I thought to be honest don't really spend much when I've been on training before so imagine it's the same. Do you get meals free during training or does it come out the pay?
'As well as Income Tax and National Insurance, you are liable for Food and Accommodation charges.' This is from a Royal Marines Recruit Handbook if you want me to link it?

future-commando

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's 18k for training and between 20 and 21k once you pass out. I think meals come out automatically but it'll probably be somthing silly like £30 a week. But yeah pretty sure it's all taken out the pay automatically so you'll be left with whatever your monthly income is minus your food and accommodation. Hopefully one of the lads currently in RT spots this as they will know exactly what's what. @The guide will more than likely be able to give you a more accurate answer.

Lukew42

Reaction score
'As well as Income Tax and National Insurance, you are liable for Food and Accommodation charges.' This is from a Royal Marines Recruit Handbook if you want me to link it?
That would be great if you can. Thanks!

Lukew42

Reaction score
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's 18k for training and between 20 and 21k once you pass out. I think meals come out automatically but it'll probably be somthing silly like £30 a week. But yeah pretty sure it's all taken out the pay automatically so you'll be left with whatever your monthly income is minus your food and accommodation. Hopefully one of the lads currently in RT spots this as they will know exactly what's what. @The guide will more than likely be able to give you a more accurate answer.
Thanks mate!

Foxx

Reaction score
That would be great if you can. Thanks!
Attached mate. Note, this may be a bit old as it says £17k in training, but it is a guideline. It tells you lots of valuable info.

Attachments

• Recruit Handbook.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 26

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
As of April this year New Entry Rate of Pay is £15,985 which goes to £20,400 once passed out or weeks 26 for RN , the rates then vary according to annual increments and what branch you are later on in your career.

New DFC (daily food charge) rate of £5.45 was implemented in February 2020.

Lukew42

Reaction score
As of April this year New Entry Rate of Pay is £15,985 which goes to £20,400 once passed out or weeks 26 for RN , the rates then vary according to annual increments and what branch you are later on in your career.
Thank you, do you know know what the take home pay would be after accom and food?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Not exactly no, i,m afraid as there are other charges which can vary - Accommodation, CILOCT (charge in Liu of council tax) Corps subscription !! (a quid if that..*text deleted*) and pleased to say not been on that rate for a while - one of the lads in training might be able to give an exact amount, apart from that it,s doing the maths really

Lukew42

Reaction score
Not exactly no, i,m afraid as there are other charges which can vary - Accommodation, CILOCT (charge in Liu of council tax) Corps subscription !! (a quid if that..*text deleted*) and pleased to say not been on that rate for a while - one of the lads in training might be able to give an exact amount, apart from that it,s doing the maths really
Okay hopefully one of the lads in training see this then hah! thanks for your help

RCTJ0012

Reaction score
When I was in training my average pay was around £600 after tax, NI, food and accommodation etc... Some months were more some were less.

Lukew42

Reaction score
When I was in training my average pay was around £600 after tax, NI, food and accommodation etc... Some months were more some were less.
Wow fair play. Was this recently or a while back? My current bills are £900 a month haha

RCTJ0012

Reaction score
This was late last year, I doubt much has changed since then although I'm sure a current recruit/moderator may be able to shine more light on the subject.

Lukew42

Reaction score
This was late last year, I doubt much has changed since then although I'm sure a current recruit/moderator may be able to shine more light on the subject.
Okay thanks for the help but sounds like I'm going to have to save up to sign up haha

future-commando

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

That is going to be really tight if that's the case. Guess I'll have to be skint for 9 months then

RCTJ0012

Reaction score
Okay thanks for the help but sounds like I'm going to have to save up to sign up haha

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a little money saved before starting training, it will come in handy for supplies and the odd NAAFI run. Just curious, you said you were Reserves (I'm assuming Commando Reserves), is your process the same for becoming a full time Commando or will you go directly to a unit?

That is going to be really tight if that's the case. Guess I'll have to be skint for 9 months then

You wont have time to spend it on anything except for field supplies and that, unless you have existing payments to keep up with.