Introduction

nvah

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am currently in Royal Navy phase 2 training but have been researching the Royal Marines for a while and want to do this instead.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I am currently in Royal Navy phase 2 training but have been researching the Royal Marines for a while and want to do this instead.
Welcome. One of the CAs on the forum is best placed to advise about potential return of service obligations.
@The guide might comment if he spots this.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
@nvah You are going to have to do this internally - i,e it has nothing to do with a AFCO. First off you need to be aware if you are over the 6 month point you " may" hit some issues. As you have not passed phase 2 you are not on GTS (gained to trained strength - and will not yet have a return of service for your current branch) if you are in a shortage branch the Navy is under no obligation to release you even to the RM until you hit 4 year point on release. As lets be honest here you have wasted a considerable amount of peoples time and money if you were to just swap over!!.

i,m sure you re-call the contract you signed and went through at least 5 times with your Careers Office and at HMS Raleigh - before you signed.!!

You will need to speak to you instructors / DO and then it will be a chat with the Officer I,C your training branch / Dept and you will have to put you best case across. It is do,abale and some ranks have done it , but it is not a given and as above if you are in a shortage branch they may be reluctant to grant you a change. and if you think RN basic (it will help) has prepared you for RM basic fitness wise - it has not.!

Best of luck .!!

Geespt

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The All Arms Commando Course might be an ideal option to consider in the future if you end up staying as a RN rank.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
The chances of getting the AACC unless in specific branches of the RN (gunner, Medic , Dr , Schoolie as examples) are pretty much zero.!

nvah

Reaction score
@nvah You are going to have to do this internally - i,e it has nothing to do with a AFCO. First off you need to be aware if you are over the 6 month point you " may" hit some issues. As you have not passed phase 2 you are not on GTS (gained to trained strength - and will not yet have a return of service for your current branch) if you are in a shortage branch the Navy is under no obligation to release you even to the RM until you hit 4 year point on release. As lets be honest here you have wasted a considerable amount of peoples time and money if you were to just swap over!!.

i,m sure you re-call the contract you signed and went through at least 5 times with your Careers Office and at HMS Raleigh - before you signed.!!

You will need to speak to you instructors / DO and then it will be a chat with the Officer I,C your training branch / Dept and you will have to put you best case across. It is do,abale and some ranks have done it , but it is not a given and as above if you are in a shortage branch they may be reluctant to grant you a change. and if you think RN basic (it will help) has prepared you for RM basic fitness wise - it has not.!

Best of luck .!!
Thanks for the reply and useful information, I will be talking to my DO soon and I understand it is not guaranteed I can switch and also that the fitness level required for the Royal Marines is a lot higher.