Introduction

Zirco

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the application process, just passed my medical. Been training for my vPJFT+.

I have been thinking about my future in the marines and I was wondering if there is any way I can stay in my hometown of Bournemouth after passing out, does anyone know any bases in or near to Bournemouth & Poole? This is not a huge deal to me but I would like to be able to live here if possible.

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
They definitely have a base in Poole. Best asking one of the trained ranks like @Rob20 mate

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
I'd suggest considering what you expect from a military career.

What do you want from the military?
Why do you only want to live in Bournemouth?
Would you accept a job such as driver just to be closer to home?

There arent 'fighting' roles for new lads at Poole. However its only a few hours from 40/42/30 so are plenty of options. Bear in mind most lads will travel a few hours to go home of the weekend.

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the application process, just passed my medical. Been training for my vPJFT+.

I have been thinking about my future in the marines and I was wondering if there is any way I can stay in my hometown of Bournemouth after passing out, does anyone know any bases in or near to Bournemouth & Poole? This is not a huge deal to me but I would like to be able to live here if possible.
You could get posted relatively close or you could get Scotland. No way to predict or preempt.

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
I'd suggest considering what you expect from a military career.

What do you want from the military?
Why do you only want to live in Bournemouth?
Would you accept a job such as driver just to be closer to home?

There arent 'fighting' roles for new lads at Poole. However its only a few hours from 40/42/30 so are plenty of options. Bear in mind most lads will travel a few hours to go home of the weekend.
Do the lads who are at bases near to the coast often go surfing and other water based activities?

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry @sharpe I am not exactly great with the RM lingo, please can you explain
I used a face plant emoji from my iPhone which isn’t supported on the forum. My apologies but I’m struggling with the commitment levels when it comes to training drivers

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
I used a face plant emoji from my iPhone which isn’t supported on the forum. My apologies but I’m struggling with the commitment levels when it comes to training drivers
how do you even do emojis on here? Whenever I try it just says text deleted. All I am able to do is :) and ;)

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You’ve just exhausted the emoji options I’m afraid. I was just trying to say don’t worry about post pass out surfing trips until you’ve actually passed out. You’ve got a pretty big journey ahead so focus on that