Introduction

sparky3659

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

Im a 31 year old police officer with 10 years experience of policing. I have always thought I had missed out by not joining the military, so i have finally decided to give the RMR a bash before im too old, and subject to my job agreeing. Ill be calling the Portsmouth detachment next week, and will hopefully get an invite down to have a look. If I get invited into a holding troop, Ill be getting down there as much as possible, subject to my shifts (and the Olympics not getting in the way) .

Exciting times ahead!! I see talk of a PRMRC being held in September, which would be ace, as Im meant to be travelling to Oz in December/Jan, so would probably miss out on a January one (and if so, id end up being too old for any further courses :sad2: )

Anyway, hopefully ill see some of you down there.

Regards, Mark

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

Best of luck with the juggling!

As you're aware there's not much room to manoeuvre, but it's theoretically do-able.

sparky3659

Reaction score
Yeah, I can imagine its tough, but I am single lad, and no kids or anything like that, so its only work I have to contend with. Watch this space I guess.

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I can imagine its tough, but I am single lad, and no kids or anything like that, so its only work I have to contend with. Watch this space I guess.
Just another welcome and good luck with your application, everyone on here are great guys and are usually willing to answer any questions, about most things as there are serving RM's on here and lots of people are knowledgable about the RM's as it's their passion.

nec-i

Reaction score
Welcome, I am in the same boat well not really I am not in the fuzz, however I am joining Pompey Det, holding troop starts soon so hope to see you there,

All the Best

sparky3659

Reaction score
Welcome, I am in the same boat well not really I am not in the fuzz, however I am joining Pompey Det, holding troop starts soon so hope to see you there,

All the Best
Looking forward to it pal. I didnt realise that there was a starting date for holding troop- i assumed it ran all the time, until the course, so that was news to me. When did they say that starts.

Also, did they say to you about a PRMRC in September?

nec-i

Reaction score
Yep mentioned the selection in September, HT starts on the 1st Tuesday in May but this is subject to change, best bet is to give them a call, have you been to presentation evening yet up at RMR London HQ?

sparky3659

Reaction score
No, *text deleted** not been into London yet. I popped into the careers office in Guildford, and they told me to get in contact with Portsmouth, so thats my next step. If I hear of another presentation in the mean time, ill obviously go along and have a look

nec-i

Reaction score
Happy days,I am going through Guildford AFCO also, Presentations are on the 1st Wednesdays and 1st Saturdays of the month when you phone up they will provide more details,

Craig298yr

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

Im a 31 year old police officer with 10 years experience of policing. I have always thought I had missed out by not joining the military, so i have finally decided to give the RMR a bash before im too old, and subject to my job agreeing. Ill be calling the Portsmouth detachment next week, and will hopefully get an invite down to have a look. If I get invited into a holding troop, Ill be getting down there as much as possible, subject to my shifts (and the Olympics not getting in the way) .

Exciting times ahead!! I see talk of a PRMRC being held in September, which would be ace, as Im meant to be travelling to Oz in December/Jan, so would probably miss out on a January one (and if so, id end up being too old for any further courses :sad2: )

Anyway, hopefully ill see some of you down there.

Regards, Mark
Hi mark

Im in the same boat as you, been a police officer for 8 years and i'm 30. I'm currently in Phase 1 RMR traianing (RMR SCOTLAND) so anything I can help you with just ask!!

Craig

sparky3659

Reaction score
Thats great Craig, thanks.

Actually, I do have a question- at which point did you apply to your force, to say that you want to join RMR. I figured Id wait until any offer for holding troop, before I speak to the job. Did they authorise it with no issues at all?

Mark

robertalbert192

Reaction score
Police

Hi

I have just applied for the RMR, I've worked in Cheshire Police for 8 and a half years, no partner or kids and wanted to see if I had what it takes to join.

I've not spoken with the job yet but as I understand they can't stop you from applying? Anyone know about this? Just want to go forearmed for when they no doubt try and talk me out of it through staffing issues etc.

Cheers

Rob

Craig298yr

Reaction score
Gents

Your force can stop you applying as theres only a certain amount of officrs that can be members of the reserve forces incase of mass deployment. My force, Strathclyde is 0.79%. I did look into it whilst in the met and they were already at full capacity so would have to join a waiting list and wait for a space.

So my advice to you is to contact HR and get that permission as soon as you can. My permission was held up as my Ch Insp wasnt too keen to authorise such abstractions.

Hpe that helps, again anything else I can help with let me know.

Craig