Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Introductory Post - J man

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by J-man, Feb 12, 2019.

1. J-man

J-man New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hello,

My name is Josh. I grew up and schooled in the Middle East, specifically - the Emirates. It's long been my goal to begin a career in the military, and upon hearing that the British Navy was recruiting Commonwealth citizens, I immediately applied. I grew up playing football, before moving onto Track and Olympic Weightlifting. I love reading, and watching a good film. I play a lot of video games too, in accordance with folks of my generation.

I hope I can be of help on this forum, and do look forward to knowing Y'all.

P.S I also wanted to pose a question here, but I'll type it in my next post. Cheers.

Sincerely,
    Josh

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Welcome Josh. What passport do you have?

One thing weighlifters may sometimes struggle with is bmi - it should ideally be under 28.

3. J-man

J-man New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi, Ninja.

I was born in Goa, so I've got an Indian passport.

On a different note, I have a question I need to ask, mind if I pose it to you?

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Fire away

5. J-man

J-man New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Well, recently I had my telephone interview with the nurse and she declared me P8 for hyperhidrosis on hands and feet.

All I could find on the JSP 950 was "Hyperhidrosis: Severe disease affecting function are normally graded unfit".

The key words seem to be 'Severe' and 'affecting function'. All I can provide to testify against this is a report from a dermatologist stating that the condition is contained with antiprespirants, a GP report, and sports certificates. (As I stated earlier I am into Weightlifting and can get a letter from my college/coach stating the condition didn't affect my performance)

Would this be sufficient for an appeal, or even considered a reasonable appeal?

I know it's best for me to speak to a Service Medical Officer, but I don't reside in the UK.

Also, in regards to my BMI, I'm not sure what the exact number is but I weigh 82 kgs at 5'11 (which I think is reasonable).

Thanks

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Good effort with regard your research! I'd recommend appealing once you have some good evidence to demonstrate the condition will not affect you whilst undergoing the rigours of recruit training and whilst serving operationally in extreme climatic conditions, particularly the cold & wet.

Around 70% of medical appeals, in circumstances where the medical suitability depends on severity of the condition and sufficient evidence is provided, succeed.

Best of luck!

7. J-man

J-man New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you very much, Ninja. This is indeed wonderful news.

Cheers