Iran in warning to US and Israel

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Iran will strike Israel and the US navy in the Gulf if it is attacked over its nuclear programme, a senior Iranian official has warned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7494961.stm

What's all your opinion on such claims?

To me personally, it's pretty comical. Just another little PR campaign for the clerics and hardliners up top in my opinion.

Their military is run down, suffers from worse underspending than our own military and they have i believe, barely 5% of the capability of the yanks alone in some departments (especially airforce and navy). Only thing they have in sizeable numbers is old russian equipment that tends to break down all the time...
So what other reason do they have to make such statements other than PR? They know they would get their asses handed to them :fly:

S

Sotiris

Aye but what have we learned from Afghanistan and Iraq? Well actually what did we learn way back in Korea then Vietnam...there are no easy wars.

I think these examples prove that an overwhelming technological advantage only goes so far.

Another front in the Middle East? Hmmm...The idea isn't too appealing. Hehe at least it would give us a job for the next few generations!

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Hehe at least it would give us a job for the next few generations!
Don't worry mate we'll always have a job,
as Albert Einstein once said;
"As long as there are people, there will always be wars".

Joe

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Never underestimate a country that's military is woefully backward and technologically inferior. That's one of the key ideas of studying history, to learn from your mistakes and prevent them happening.

The Taliban are still operating on Soviet era equipment with borrowed men and materials and they seem to be giving everyone a run from their money.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I think Iran are playing their situation very well. They know that at the moment America couldn't start a sustained third engagement which means precludes a landwar, and Israel won't as all the other Arab nations around her might remeber the 6 day war and pop over

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If anything it'll just be a airstrike festival.

Never underestimate a country that's military is woefully backward and technologically inferior. That's one of the key ideas of studying history, to learn from your mistakes and prevent them happening.

The Taliban are still operating on Soviet era equipment with borrowed men and materials and they seem to be giving everyone a run from their money.
Afgan and Iran situation would be different though, as the taliban have been getting funding from external sources and coming fromt he country across the border, and the afgan national army was essentially non-existant upon our invasion.

In Iran the vast majority of people don't want the people in charge, and same with the army. The revolutionary guards were made to watch over the army and stop any rebelious muttering etc.

Knock the top off, and the guards and Im sure moderates would be able to take over and provide stability as it IS a very prosperous country for the area and well educated in most things.

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
LETS GO KICK SOME IRANIAN ASS!
sorry but it has 2 be said