Irish and wishing

C

cliffhanger111

hey guys just wanted to see what the thoughts were on an irish man joining the RM?

PB706k

Reaction score
Im pretty sure its all good, I assume you mean youre from Eire? There are *text deleted**text deleted*e loads of Northern Irish lads in the corps, *text deleted* so thats def ok.
I was reading something in one of the papers something saying that the number of people joining the British Armed Forces from Eire was up by like 10% or something so i'm assuming you can apply to join, ninja stoker could prob tell you more though.
If, however, you mean will other people accept you, *text deleted* it'll be fine mate! you might get a bit of stick but everybody does at some point for something, and you'll prob get a nick name like 'paddy' or something else uber original, but it'd be fine dude..

0.01%

Reaction score
Alright fella,

Personally would have no problem what so ever, all the Irish lads i've encountered in my life have been blinding, right good laugh and decent drinkers as well! *text deleted*

Anybody joining the forces can't afford to be narrow minded when it comes to who they do / do not want to serve with as the British forces are open to such a wide range of people from all sorts of places and backgrounds.

If anybody did have a problem it would be their problem, not yours.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi CliffHanger

There are a few from the Republic of Ireland on this forum. Plus there are many in the Corps, so wouldn't worry about anything on that score. There are people from all over the world serving.

All the best
GW

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As GW says, no problems for Eire.

The rules state th requirements are as follows:

Nationality.

For entry into the Naval Service a candidate must, at all times since birth, fall into
one of the following Nationality categories:
a. British Citizen.
b. Dual British/Commonwealth, British/Irish, British/Other citizenship.
c. Irish or Commonwealth citizen.
d. Dual Commonwealth / Commonwealth, Commonwealth/other Irish/
Commonwealth or Irish/Other nationality.

If you are a British Passport holder, then you should be OK on Nationality, but may require a residency waiver if you do not have an unbroken history of UK residence in the last 5 years.

himself

Reaction score
Cana a ta tu?

hows tricks fella... im a louth man meself and things willing looking to take the queens shilling.... were ye from? Ive been a Cpl in the RDF the last 8 years and too old to join the Irish Army (plus ive seen more of the Wicklow mountains than id like) so it was either the Marines or the Legion - my mother said she'd sooner see me in the priesthood than the legion so the Bootnecks it is... plus it beats learning french... if ye need any advice just drop me a line and ill let ye know how things have been... guessing your applying via belfast?

Eddie

Reaction score
I started training on the 2nd of june and my troop has 4 irish guys in it and there all good. I think its a bit of a pain for them going home for weekend leave though *text deleted* one said he would only just be spending 24 hours at home.

Reaction score
hows tricks fella... im a louth man meself and things willing looking to take the queens shilling.... were ye from? Ive been a Cpl in the RDF the last 8 years and too old to join the Irish Army (plus ive seen more of the Wicklow mountains than id like) so it was either the Marines or the Legion - my mother said she'd sooner see me in the priesthood than the legion so the Bootnecks it is... plus it beats learning french... if ye need any advice just drop me a line and ill let ye know how things have been... guessing your applying via belfast?
thanks man.. im still weighting up my options... only major problem is the parents.