Irish in the Marines....

himself

Reaction score
hows things folks.... first post of many (i hope) so a little bit about me first i guess...

Im grand aul age of 27... im a graphic designer by trade and god willing im giving it all up to join the royals... ive 8 years in the Irish Reserve Defence Force at the rank of corpral these last 3 years... its through this that ive got my fix of all thing military and alas ive finaly given in to the conclusion that id sooner fight terrorist organizations than deal with clients.. deadlines and the hours infront of a computer!!

Now history n all means that joining the British Navy or Army isnt exactly a popular choice for most Irish men (lets just say that i wont be telling those outside of family or friends) but to honest the only other choice was the French foreign legion and after a few books looking into that i came to my senses!! (to the relief of many)

Ive decided i want to be a "professional soldier". As much as i love it the Irish Army it doesn't offer me the same opportunities... ill always consider myself an Irish Soldier.. ill just be employed by a different company!

anyways... seeing as the few Irish mostly serve in the Irish Regiments of the Army have any of you guys come across any Irish in the Royal Marines?? (by that im mostly talking about the Republic of Ireland)

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi Mate and welcome to the site,

Don't worry about the age thing mate, there are plenty of people that join the Marines in there late 20's and you probably won't be the oldest on your course.

Yep there are plenty of guys from the republic in the UK armed forces and like yourself they take a bit of a precaution with regards who they tell.

There was a couple of guys on here over the past few months who were planning on joining from the Republic, I can't remember how far they got or if they have been down for a prmc yet. Certainly more than a few in the Royal Marines, but even to their fellow recruits they don't always talk much about their background or where they are from.

Anyway best of luck if you decide to apply mate

All the best

GW

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome Himself (to be sure :*text deleted*: )

Yep, as GW says there's heaps of Irish guys in the Corps. In my opinion the Corps are an excellent reflection of society inasmuch as they have the most diverse range of individuals across a huge ethnic spectrum- probably the best representative cross-section of any unit of the Armed Forces.

Not so long-ago the Army made a big "Hoo-Ha" over the fact they actually had a mixed-race soldier on guard outside Buck Palace on horseback- the first ever. (Wow). The issue with the Royal Marines is that if you are physically good enough, you're in. It's a pity that the rest of society isn't as tolerant.

himself

Reaction score
cheers lads... ive my aptitude test passed.. the eye sight passed and tomorrow morning ive my interview up in belfast -

(Im planning on wearing a short sleeve shirt along with shorts so i can write the list of dates and facts ive been trying to remember on my arms and legs!!)

my security clearance is being processed but due to being from the republic ive been told that this could take months and months... Ive actually left my job so i can concentrate on getting up to form on the fitness - dark evenings shitty weather and headaches and deadlines just werent helping me with any training programs!... so alls left now it to get a shitty job to keep me in rent and bananas and in the next few months ill be a leaner meaner me!

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good luck with everything. Hope to see you in the corp someday.

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You should have a laugh tomorrow with the guys in PB in belfast, they're good guys, thats were i went through mate! Good luck, you'll be grand though!!
As for your security clearence ... dont sweat it mate even when your from the north it still takes as long :*text deleted*:

Steve.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
yep it's harder to get motivated to train in the winter although just think to yourself a test of how much you want something.

Anyway, more importantly :*text deleted*: , just had a bet on Mick McCarthy being your next manager, heard a bit of a tip from some people round here that know him. What's the word over there? have I just lost my money again, :cry:

All the best mate

GW

himself

Reaction score
would that be the same Mick McCarthy who previously served as Ireland international manager but subsequently resigned after growing criticism?? Your money would of been better spent on lotto tickets!!

ill keep ye posted on how i get on tomorrow.... looking forward to it!!

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
yep the one and only Big Mick,

my sources say he was offered the job today and it's down to personal terms being agreed.

He comes from Barnsley, where I live and his mates round here are throwing money on it. Probably be more light on it shortly.

Best of luck tomorrow,

GW

himself

Reaction score
well its lucky im not a gambling man.... (far to poor and know nothing about sport!)

anyways i passed the interview and medical this morning... so getting closer and closer... the fitness is next week - also meet a fella from Co.Cork who was up for the same so its nice to see another southerner on the books

(*text deleted* cant recall your first name but if your reading this sorry i couldnt give ye a lift into the city - the fella said you could of been another hour)

so fitness test next week..... not so confident that'll go as well!

ohh and Shiloh79 - i told em you said hello.... not that i think your username would of ment any thing to em but its the thought that counts right!

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thats great news mate ... well done! :D and cheers for the shout out *text deleted*.. did you meet jim ??? He's a right laugh! :*text deleted*: