Irish joining

LilInac

Reaction score
Hi lads
Just a question might be a bit stupid ha,
anyone think the brexit etc would effect the joining process for the RM(it’s early days yet but just a thought) Also can I still do medicals/interview and pjft in Belfast(I think I heard I can) I’m looking to try and apply around sept or a bit before whenever I get fit really!
Cheers

Chelonian

Reaction score
Just a question might be a bit stupid ha,
anyone think the brexit etc would effect the joining process for the RM
No such thing as a daft question here. The BREXIT transition period continues until 31 December 2020.

https://www.gov.uk/transition?gclid...VGODtCh0xKwdoEAAYASAAEgKlX_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

What happens after that date is perhaps anyone's guess just now. But if anyone does have a credible answer to your question at this stage it's likely to be @The guide or @CHUB!

Grey man

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
To paraphrase the career portal literature;Some roles within the Royal Navy will have stricter nationality and residency requirements than others for security reasons, but in general you can join the Royal Navy if you are:

• A national of the United Kingdom or Ireland
  • A Commonwealth citizen who is applying from inside their own country must be 18. If a resident of the UK you can apply at 16. You must hold a current in date passport and it is the responsibility of individual applicants to ensure that they have permission to be in the UK and this permission is valid for the entirety of the recruitment process up to the point of entry (this does not apply to citizens of the Republic of Ireland, Malta and the Republic of Cyprus)
  • A dual Commonwealth or British national who is not required to complete national service (written evidence is required)

I don’t think this is a Brexit issue. I understand it that an Irish Citizen, can apply to join the regular RM. If you're hoping to join the RMR, you need to be already living in the UK. A guy I passed out with was from Galway.

Last edited:

LilInac

Reaction score
To paraphrase the career portal literature;Some roles within the Royal Navy will have stricter nationality and residency requirements than others for security reasons, but in general you can join the Royal Navy if you are:

• A national of the United Kingdom or Ireland
  • A Commonwealth citizen who is applying from inside their own country must be 18. If a resident of the UK you can apply at 16. You must hold a current in date passport and it is the responsibility of individual applicants to ensure that they have permission to be in the UK and this permission is valid for the entirety of the recruitment process up to the point of entry (this does not apply to citizens of the Republic of Ireland, Malta and the Republic of Cyprus)
  • A dual Commonwealth or British national who is not required to complete national service (written evidence is required)

I don’t think this is a Brexit issue. I understand it that an Irish Citizen, can apply to join the regular RM. If you're hoping to join the RMR, you need to be already living in the UK. A guy I passed out with was from Galway.
Ah cheers, I was looking into that and thinking about that my self, security checks will prob take longer but anywho, sounds good the fella that passed out with you is near my self the West! Good to hear there’s a few about we do be everywhere ahah. Really want to smash my fitness now.