Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Irish officer?

Discussion in 'RM Officer questions' started by PotentialRM123, Sep 3, 2018.

1. PotentialRM123

PotentialRM123 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So i've read that you cant enter as an officer if you are from the republic of ireland. Does this apply to being commissioned later on in your career? What I mean is could I ever become an officer after finishing RM training or will I be an NCO my whole career potentially? Thanks.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Last time I looked, Irish Citizens were ineligible to join as RM Officers however that may well have changed. Call 03456 07 55 55 to check.

3. PotentialRM123

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I'll be over the age limit even if it has changed haha, I was just wondering if that rule would apply for the rest of my career, i.e. never being eligible for a commission because of my nationality

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It depends.. Many Irish citizens are also eligible to hold British passports and therefore apply for a commissionnn.

Bottom line is if you are over 25, the odds of gaining a Senior Corps Commission as an SNCO are unlikely within the next decade or so and by then the rules may well change.

5. PotentialRM123

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for replying. Yeah by time I'm finished my education and gone through the process of joining i'll be 26 probably. Which from what you're saying, makes the probability of a commission down the line highly unlikely?

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It's possible if eligible but even then there are 7000 other ranks, 900 officers and less than six Corps Commisions a year.