Ironing Board

Reaction score
Is it possible to have an ironing board delivered to CTC?

start my ROP soon and would rather not carry an ironing board with me on the train......

Chelonian

Reaction score
Is it possible to have an ironing board delivered to CTC?
Yes, the duty butler will deliver it from the Mail Office to ROP accommodation.

Alternatively, bring one with you on the train. Feel free to wrap it in a surf board sock so everyone else thinks that you're actually headed to Newquay. Wearing a suit. :)

But seriously, just bring one with you. That way it won't go adrift and you'll have it when you need it.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Where does it say you need an ironing board? It's not in my joining instructions.
Back in the day the "ironing board" was a blanket folded onto the floor. Or on a table if one was fortunate.

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You don't need to bring one with you as they're available at the NAAFI, but their quality and price are questionable. Also to throw in to the mix new recruits can't visit the NAAFI for the first two weeks of ROP because of covid precautions so you may have to wait till your TT is in a good mood to do a troop run for everybody.
I can vouch for the quality I've had mine almost 12 years now and it's still going strong

Kayakingmum

Reaction score
My nod took his on the train when he started last year. Best to take one as it’s used a lot!!

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah my brother got one of John Lewis for about a £100, but it seemed worth it as it should last him his whole career rather than getting cheaper ones that break easier

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Have a rummage in the skip, there’s loads in their when a troop finishes training *text deleted*

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
why would people throw them away? Wouldnt they need it at their unit to iorn their uniform
You will find you do a lot less ironing as a trained rank. Also there’s always one kicking about, I’ve never been in military accom and there not been an ironing board or ten in the store cupboard. Also shiny new crye rig, under strict instructions not to iron. Which I’m sure has all the DLs panties in a twist.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You will find you do a lot less ironing as a trained rank. Also there’s always one kicking about, I’ve never been in military accom and there not been an ironing board or ten in the store cupboard. Also shiny new crye rig, under strict instructions not to iron. Which I’m sure has all the DLs panties in a twist.

Wondered about the Crye rig. How does it hold its shape (/smartness) without ironing? I don't iron a lot of my technical outdoor clothes made from similar material, but I don't mind cutting about wiyh it looking crinkled after it's been washed.

Related - do the sleeves roll up like PCS or do they only go so far? Yet to see a photo of any serving mates where they're not rocking Hero Sleeves!

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It doesn’t really get creased if you hang it up right after washing. And yeah the sleeves roll up just the same. It’s worn in the same way as PCS. It’s actually so much better than the old stuff. Only annoying thing about it is that the belt loops arnt big enough to hold your beret. But other than that it’s hoofing

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score

Attachments

• B314B40D-5170-4119-87A6-D773300F39B0.jpeg
    B314B40D-5170-4119-87A6-D773300F39B0.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 17