Is healthy eating really important

vince

Reaction score
probably more a question for guys that have done there prmc, but any advice welcome

hi , just wanted to know if eating healthy is really that important?.. I eat fruit and stuff but genraly i just eat what i want. Got a mate who's a para and he doesnt eat healthy at all, whenever he's back home he mainly eats take aways and drinks like a fish.

i genraly eat a bowl of poridge, 2 bannanas and have a cupa tea when i wake up

A few snacks such as bannanas, apples,cornish pastys or scotch egges,subways , ect. during the day

a bowl of pasta, tuna and backed beans for lunch

and any thing i want to eat for dinner, sometimes a pudding too

plus i have a few beers at least once or twice a week

just thought id ask *text deleted* there seems to be alot of people on here that take there diet more seriously then most health freaks do and its made me feel like im not takeing mine seriously enough

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thats fine mate, as long as you dont go too heavy on the takeaways, you will turn into a right porker, I wouldnt worry about it too much, its not "really" important but advisable you keep a healthy diet...

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'd cut out the pasties and scotch eggs tho mate-I eat healthy 6 days a week and hav 1 cheat day a week where I eat and drink anything I want. Helps you to stick to a diet plan if you know you have a day off to look forward to.

matt

Reaction score
Vince,
Before I did my PRMC I also thought that watching my diet was really important. When I walked into the Galley on the first morning I was adamant that I WASN'T going to eat a massive fry up etc. After the talk we had from the Medical Officer, I had completely changed my mind; when asked whether it was a good idea to eat fry ups every day, with pies etc for lunch and dinner, the Medical Officer simply said "eat as much of all that as you can manage, its all good stuff" (I'm paraphrasing slightly). The main point from the ensuing talk was that so long as the calories you're putting into your body are coming from a variety of sources (carbs, protein and fats), and your actually burning them, there's no problem.

I should add that this advice from the Medical Officer applies more to recruits, who will need to consume around 4000 calories a day to prevent themselves from losing weight! So regarding your original request for advice, I would say don't worry about following a strict eating regime, just make sure you eat a variety of foods and eat enough to keep fueling your body through your training. Your body will soon tell you if your not giving it what it needs.

One last additional point from the Medical Officer that I thought was interesting: don't bother with supplements, they're not worth it.

Hope some of that helped

Matt

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah thats true. Again, before PRMC and initial stages of application i was really anal about my diet, to the point if it becoming an obsession. I now think though that as long as your burning it off and you're still getting the good stuff in you to, then a few extras dont really hurt. sometimes I notice a difference in my performance if i've really eaten *text deleted**text deleted*e all day but other than that not to sad. However after the game last night and extra beers of sorrow and chicken shish kebab of sorrow, im not expecting too much from today!

Midnight_assassin

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted*, you should be fine, the amount of alcohol I consume and bad s*text deleted** I should really be fat, my scores on everything I feel are fine as long as I can pull them off on the day, I am trying to cut out all the crap tho, I havn't been drinking in the last 3 days *text deleted* got a little bit of fat to shift round the middle, I can feel my hard abs wanting to push out but the fat conceals them!

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah the difference between eating healthily now is you probably only train once, twice maybe 3 times a day and if you work you probably work out once or twice a day with work somwhere around it.. At PRMC and RT you're going to be doing just about 12 hours on your feet constantly moving, constantly banging out push ups, constantly being told to sit up, sit down, constantly diving into mud..

So to eat healthily now is relatively important as long as you're eating a BALANCED diet of like what Matt said the carbs, protein and good fats. In PRMC you can't get the amount of carbs you need from pasta and you can't get the protein you need from a chicken which is why they advise you to eat loads because you are constantly going to be on your feet.

It's hard to immitate a typical day in RT so just stick to the running and circuits and eat properly for now. PRMC and RT is a different story!

sooty795

Reaction score
a balanced diet is important when training to make sure you get everything your body needs to build and repair properly, as mentioned above.

at CTC all the meals are designed to give you everything you need food wise to have the right fuels in you, 3 meals a day plus 9 o`clockers theres also dutchies burger van and the naffi, so food is every where.

having said that on numerous occasions at dinner we had literally a few minuets to ram what ever you could down your neck and get back for inspection, which usually consisted of a miss mash of food squashed between 2 pieces of bread. YUM YUM

Mat

Reaction score
Its important to have a good diet but that doesnt mean you have to be super clean, I am simply because I have always been that way and I find it helps me with the training. But many get by eating pretty much whatever, in the end its what you want to do and your diet to me doesnt seem so bad at all.

Grimesy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i have what i call a fast food friday, being a tradesman and eating on the run all the time i find it really hard to eat healty. i know if i eat properly all week i can eat all the *text deleted**text deleted* i can find in the scummiest parts of london on a friday. it works really well.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
im currently watching my diet as i want to lose the fat around my torso and upper legs and its really p*ssing me off because i do 6 days a week of exercise, of which i need to increase the intensity now. but i just cant shift the fat form that area. so im hoping that a low fat diet mixed with as mich exercise as possible will help.

the only problem i find is that i dont get a lot of energy from eating things like salad, fruit, chicken, oats, wheat and all this other stuff, but when i eat meals that health freaks would think is the unltimate sin, i have the energy to work out like a maniac.

to be honest a balanced diet is what you need. but if you wana eat the cr*p then make sure your doing enough exercise to use up the energy it gives you or you will get fat.