Is it all Mental ?

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Put aside passing your physical etc.

Is getting your green beret purely mental ?

I mean do you think that anybody could become a green beret if they want it bad enough ?

sooty795

Reaction score
to a certain extent yes, you can push the pain barrier and keep going if you really really want it, however your body will only keep going for so long.

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
i think your body can be trained and put into good shape for completing the course but if you dont have the mental capacity to drive yourself, pushing through all the points when you feel *text deleted**text deleted*e then i dont think its possible. Sooty quite right in saying that some people's bodies just wont be able to make it through.
A mate of mine is in the middle of being medically discharged. Thought he would be the perfect marine, but his ankle just kept turning and never got any better!

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
that's *text deleted**text deleted* for your mate,

It makes me think of that lad Terry John off Commando he seemed like he really wanted it but had problems with his legs.

That must be one of the worst things when trying to be come a marine, what's your mate doing now ?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The thing you must remember, is that whilst it is most definitely a state of mind which determines the individual's ability to pass RM Commando training, sometimes the physical capacity of your body may stop it happening, no matter how hard you try. That makes you no less of a person - if you at least gave it 100%.

The old adage of the mind being strong, but the body weak does not mean that anyone failing to complete training through genuine injury is any less of a person than someone who succeeds. The majority who do not complete Commando training seem to do so through self-doubt rather than actual lack of ability.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Some don't like it because they get shouted at even when they do things right and some don't realised they're being trained to kill!

The ones who leave through self doubt are always encouraged by not only their troop but the training team, if you're flagging but have potential then the training team will pull you to one side and give you the words of encouragement you need to get through another week. However if you still have self-doubt you could end up hindering other people who don't have self-doubt because you don't know wether to stay or go.

In my opinion it takes a certain person who can learn to live with dicapline, shouting, blood, sweat, tears and cold showers. Most people don't have it because we live in a mummy and daddy society where we leave home at 25 and move in with a girlfriend, split up and move back in with mummy and daddy. It's a mans world and only men get the green beret (except she who may pass the AAC, howeve it's the cap badge that counts), those who are physically determined, mental able and focused on their objective no matter who or what stands in their way.

I don't mean to sound arrogant but except injury, those who leave probably just don't have the right attitude towards the Royal Marines, if you've got self doubt about joining a killing force then what are you going to be like on a battlefield? Getting doubts when you're just about to stab someone with your shiney bayonet probably isn't the ideal situation to be in for you or your comrades.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
couldn't agree more with ashley on all his points.

but i must add that ok the body has altimate limits, and when those are met is when backtrooping comes into play.

but its very unlikely your body would not be able to couple with the fitness demands, as they train you as much as possible to be able to pass, and as long as 100% is put in on all physicals and you are meeting the standards then there is no reason why you wouldn't pass physically. but the mental side is different.

there are two barriers that i consider in the body. phsyical and mental.

physical barrier is when your body cannot move, no matter how hard you try, you just physically cant move.

but mental is different as i feel it is reached in a much shorter time than physical. i will probably get someone disagreeing with me.
but i see the mental barrier as when you THINK you cant go on but really you can, when you finally decide in your head that you cant go on even though your body is still moving.
its the point where you think aahh *text deleted* it just stop. and where you think your physical barrier is. but unlike physical this can be pushed through, with the right attitude and a goal ahead of you and not forgetting a royal marine threatening to backtroop you if you dont get moving.

so basically yes its a very mentally challanging, a lot more than physical. and the training is designed not only for fitness to to be able to get you to push past mental barriers, which i feel is why many people choose to leave (apart from injury). they just simply dont want to push through that mental barrier and extremely under estimate how hard it is.

and when people say that they know a marine blah blah blah, and they wouldn't mess with them because they diffinetly got something missing up there, they are talking about the mental barrier. once you have learnt how to knock that down, anything that is within you acctuall physical capabilities is possible.

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
that's *text deleted**text deleted* for your mate,

It makes me think of that lad Terry John off Commando he seemed like he really wanted it but had problems with his legs.

That must be one of the worst things when trying to be come a marine, what's your mate doing now ?
He's starting a personal trainer and sports therapy course which the corps is funding for him. Takes about 2months before he's going to move to LA with a few friends of ours to work out there. He's quite lucky actually, he turned his ankle during a 'extra phys' so is getting some money out of it.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Anbody

Put aside passing your physical etc.

Is getting your green beret purely mental ?

I mean do you think that anybody could become a green beret if they want it bad enough ?
The answer is no: Not anybody can make it. That's why they say 99.99% should not apply.

Those who make it through will have the sheer grit, endurance, physical and mental determation required to make it through to become a Royal Marine Commando. And, not forgetting, of course, those that are also lucky enough not to get too injured on the way.
These people also have that thing inside their head that says, "I DON'T GIVE UP."

You can want anything badly, but ultimately for the Green beret, you need to develop these qualities.

Best Wishes

Steve

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I have always felt that I had what it takes to get that green beret, to push myself further and harder than I've ever gone before, but I alas I will never get that chance and am forever to remain on the other side of the fence.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
This is actually a dam awesome set of reply's...gave me a kick in the pants to step it up a gear actually.

Az

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have up most respect for all those who pass.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Y'd u say that Touchstone?
Well apparently, because of a medical problem I am not eligible for service with the Royal Marines, or any of the other services. I am still looking for ways around it but it is unlikely...

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
whats the condition if you dont mind saying?

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Club foot, talipese. Corrected at birth and does not affect me, but there you go.