Is it inevitable that Scotland will leave the UK ?

Discussion in 'Current & Military Affairs Discussion Forum.' started by glos94, Sep 14, 2015.

1. glos94

glos94 Well-Known Member

I was very happy and relieved when Scotland voted to stay !!
    I have seen a few articles saying how the SNP will be pushing for another referendum in the next 5-10 years. Do you think that Scotland will keep voting until the YES side wins ?
    Surely this is not fair as this Alex Salmond (W*text deleted**text deleted*r) said this was a "Once in a generation opportunity(unless we lose then we will repeat it every 5 years until we win)" and I'm sure the NO side will not be able to call a referendum 5 years after they lose !
    So the question is; is it inevitable that scotland will leave in the near future ? Or will support for the SNP decline over time ?

Edit: Anyone who can change Scitland to Scotland would be much appreciated!!

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

That's a good point.

Interesting times ahead North of the border with regard the SNP/Labour/Trident, I suspect.

3. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

The only way it isn't inevitable is if they give them full fiscal autonomy now. They keep everything they earn, they spend everything they earn and not a penny more. That's the only way people in Scotland will be able to see what things are like before they vote, rich or poor.

Interestingly enough the SNP say that would take 10 years to make happen - strange as it was only going to take 2 to go fully independent and this would be less work. It's almost like they know it would be bad for them.

If that was to happen, the SNP would probably never get elected to anything ever again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vine

Vine Active Member

The truth is the younger generation want an independent Scotland can't remember all the ins and out of it but I read up on it at the time long story short it's the over 40's that kept us the UK due to fear over the pound and other fear stories from Cameron and Co.... Every 5 years until there is a yes vote won't happen don't honestly believe it would be worth it for another 10 years.

5. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

Don't care one way or the other whether Scotland leaves but I think the democratic thing should be, that all sides argue a position and garner support until one point of view constitutes a majority, which should then hold power of decision.

Opposing points of view may still have merit and are free to continue to argue their point, until such time as they constitute a majority and thus hold power of decision. And so on.

Of course, once a decision is made either way, the consequences of that decision may become irreversible, regardless of the merits of any arguments.

Eg, Leaving the union may lead England to deny the possibility of return, regardless of the feelings of the Scots.

6. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

Can we English not get a vote as to whether we want to keep them? :D

• Like Like x 2
  7. glos94

glos94 Well-Known Member

I'd like to keep the land !

8. Vine

Vine Active Member

Why would Scotland want to return ? Every argument for leaving the union has a fair argument.

9. glos94

glos94 Well-Known Member

Well I would guess things like how in the lead up to the last referendum Alex Salmond failed to answer many questions and more or less said: "don't worry, north sea oil will pay for it." Shortly after the referendum the price of oil halved ! It seems like the SNP has a view of, vote for independence first and then we will think about all the problems and how to solve them !

10. Vine

Vine Active Member

Oil isn't Scotlands only resource mate and the majority of these problems were scare stories.

11. glos94

glos94 Well-Known Member

I know that and I'm not saying that would be enough to want to come back. I don't think they would come back at all. But I think the scare stories were necessary as the SNP presented independence as a risk free utopia and I think the less switched on voters eat it all up, There's a reason they wanted to lower the voting age. SNP shouting the loudest, but they were shouting about a load of s*text deleted*t and no substance ! I just think its unfair on the NO voters to have to leave the union even though they won (the once in a generation vote) and a large portion of the YES side are there because they like to shout and hold and Scottish flag even though they haven't even considered the consequences.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vine

Vine Active Member

Bottom line for me is Scotland would have and still would make it independent, typical politics that scare stories were used instead of a fair debate and a bit of integrity from both sides. This yes voters are all William Wallace fanatics in there kilts is bull the people who really read up on it would be the yes voters.

13. bootneck81

bootneck81 Member

I'm over 40 I voted yes and would do so again, once again I find myself reminding those of you who think we're all living off benefits in Scotland myself and all my family most of my neighbours all work and have done so since leaving school we pay our own way. Scotland is given a block grant from central government this is calculated via the Barnet formula the Scottish government then choose how to spend, one other thing Scotland was not conquered it was an act of parliament that joined us voted on by very few in 1707 much to the discust of ordinary people on both sides of the border. Rant over

• Like Like x 1
  14. glos94

glos94 Well-Known Member

That's fine, I'm not trying to change your mind as you have made an informed decision. I would just like to see the UK get the positive 'YES' and the question not to be scewed in the SNP's favour. Also if the unionist side was ran by someone with an ounce of passion I think a lot of the 'bandwagon' voters would vote to stay. I do agree the last minute scramble by the No side was embarrassing. Anyway, have a nice day !

Edit: I also think Scotland would 'make it' I just think we would all be better off together ( Sorry for the cheesy slogan). Ideally I would like things to change so that the scots don't want to leave, but that doesn't seem likely and I think I will be sad when they do eventually go !

15. Ninja_Stoker

I personally think the United we stand adage holds credence. Trouble is people continue to bear grudges on behalf of their long dead forebears. For as long as they look back, instead of forwards, they will inevitably walk into the metaphorical lamppost...then pick a fight with the lamppost :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

Mayhap the consequences of leaving show them they were better off in a union. People are allowed to change their minds.

17. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

I belong to the school of thought that 'peoples have a right to self-determination'.

18. Ninja_Stoker

I'd certainly go along with that but imagine there will always be those who will desire a sequence of referendums until the result is as they would wish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  19. Vine

Vine Active Member

The last minute scramble from Cameron offering more powers etc to secure a No vote speak volumes in my eyes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  20. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The debate baffles me. The referendum took place after a long campaign. The people of Scotland were fully informed of the pros, cons and potential risks of both options and they made their choice.

It is absurd that the Nationalists now clamour for another referendum just as it would have been absurd for the pro-Unionists to demand another referendum if Scotland had voted to separate from the United Kingdom.

• Winner Winner x 1