Is it ok to get a tattoo just months before going to ROP

JBailey127

Reaction score
Just wondering if it’s ok for me to get a half sleeve on my forearm. for example, will i have to tell my afco or anyone about it? is it safe from infection when i go into training if i have like 2-3 months for it to heal?

Geespt

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Better of waiting until you complete training. No point risking an infection before you even start ROP. On top of that, most tattoo parlours are closed across the country right now because of the obvious.

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I would assume you need to inform your AFCO as you have to declare any tattoos when applying, my personal opinion is to wait it out as you never know what could happen in training regarding injuries and scars.

Possible positives from you waiting could be you change your design, maybe a discount due to being in the military.

Reaction score
Bit risky, but should be fine. I got one about a month ago on my hand, i'm starting in February, but it wasn't an issue with my careers advisor -
so long as its not visible on a passport photo i'd be surprised if the AFCO had an issue with it, double check though. Usually takes about a month for a tattoo to sufficiently heal, depends how badly you want it!

JBailey127

Reaction score
Bit risky, but should be fine. I got one about a month ago on my hand, i'm starting in February, but it wasn't an issue with my careers advisor -
so long as its not visible on a passport photo i'd be surprised if the AFCO had an issue with it, double check though. Usually takes about a month for a tattoo to sufficiently heal, depends how badly you want it!
yeah thanks for the info, my date is probably going to be in march so i was thinking that’s a good amount of time for it to heal