Is it true?

Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was watching a documentary on youtube earlier today about a group of people doing RT back in 1999 (I think) and about 13 weeks into training one of the guys decided to leave, and he was stating all the reasons why he was leaving, and he mentioned that in RT you get shouted at when you do something wrong, but when you pass training and get assigned to a unit, instead of getting shouted at, you get punched.

Just wondering if this is true or not. (Not saying it would stop me from joining, it just surprises me how they would be able to get away with it).

Zakh0

Reaction score
Hey there, I saw the same thing. What he ment was that if you have an attitude problem when you go to a unit you'll get yourself punched :cheesy:

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Don't be silly, these days they just give you a cuddle and tell you everything is going to be ok... :wink:

Luke023

Reaction score
i watched that documentry on youtube to. anyone recognise one of the corprals from the prmc in that troop getting interviewed? the one with the sleeve tatoo it was.

read amongst marines by steven preece. the stuff that went on at his commando unit might make you squeel a bit.

M

MTW

alot of booties from preece's era and unit say that his books are full on rubbish, completely over the top and fabricated. but no doubt if your a c*text deleted*t you will get a good toeing. everybody needs a good beating at some point in their life.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
alot of booties from preece's era and unit say that his books are full on rubbish, completely over the top and fabricated. but no doubt if your a c*text deleted*t you will get a good toeing. everybody needs a good beating at some point in their life.
You forgot to say that a lot don't as well.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i watched that documentry on youtube to. anyone recognise one of the corprals from the prmc in that troop getting interviewed? the one with the sleeve tatoo it was.
I wasn't on the same PRMC but it sounds like the same Corporal, he had a massive tattoo all down his arm over his elbow etc?

Where about in it? Part 4 6:30 ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59KbyN3d0Z4&feature=related

Does look a bit like him!

Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Bring on the beatings :fight:

:rock:

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I've ordered it from Waterstones , should have it in the next couple days, I can't wait to read it, everyone on this site seems to say it's quality whether things have been altered or not.

Luke023

Reaction score
you do realise that steve preece does use this site. are you calling him a lier?

"Thwack!! A blunt object hit me hard on the right side of my jaw, almost knocking me down to the floor. My assailant has obviously found what he had been looking for."

Amongst the Marines, chapter 1, page 20

why would steve lie about something like that?

Luke023

Reaction score
I've ordered it from Waterstones , should have it in the next couple days, I can't wait to read it, everyone on this site seems to say it's quality whether things have been altered or not.

i ordered both books but "Always a Marine" came first so i read that and enjoyed it very much. im only a quarter of the way through "Amongst the Marines" now, so far has also been a great read.

they have been the first books ive read for a few years

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
I wouldn't go as far as MWT calling him a liar, Just highlighting that some people disagree with Steve's view. But I have heard just as many say it was accurate so thought I'd add that to the post.

Steve has a thick enough skin by now not to let it bother him.

M

MTW

im not personaly calling him a liar, nor have i read the books so i dont know, but from reading countless huge threads on "onceamarinealwaysamarine" and "rumration" of extremely pissed of former and current Royal Marines (some from his era and unit calling him out)..i get the idea that alot of it is exadurated and/or complete fiction, also didnt see a positive post about preece on any of the massive threads concerning his books.and not only that....if you think my post is rash...you should see some of theirs.

also why would their be such massive controversy surounding his books in the past and serving bootneck comunity if it was all above board?

so thats why i get the distinct feeling to take his books with a pinch of salt...........or two.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
I would certainly believe it, Our training team would tell us about ways they would have dealt with us just 5 year earlier and it wasn't nice and Steve has always been most helpful to people on this site.

So going back 20+. and with a whole load of angry guys just returning from the Falklands, well there is enough ingredients for a bit of trouble.

M

MTW

yea i mean dont get me wrong, i havent read the book, so its not my personal opinion, just others, also its no way a personal attack on mr preece in the slightest, i fully appretiate him taking time to help out on his site. also have respect for what he has done and is doing.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
My Books

Guys: I appreciate my books caused all kinds of mayhem and I did get a lot of flack from all kinds of people. However, my book sar ebased on truth and it all happened just like I wrote.

If you're using the onceamarine site I can guide you towards a good number of heated threads that cover the subject. Through those threads I actually proved, the start, the middle and the end of my first book. I also stood by what I wrote until the heat cooled down. So why would I exagerate or lie about the things I wrote about.

The majority of flack came from people who didn't like the fact I chose to tell my personal story and others who served in different era's or some who were a little jealous, because they hadn't wrote a book about that side of life.

You'll have to join that site to seek out the threads but her's the links:

These threads were posted quite some time ago on the OAM site. Do you think I'd stand my ground and put up with all the crap that came my way if I did believe truth and perseverance would shine through in the end!

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1123087300

Also read the other, more lengthy. Its 10 pages long. Use the pages, field in the bottom left hand corner to flip pages:

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1094557494

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1133080156

This one's a good read:

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1128526357

Read Yashin's comments here:

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=1142637416&page=2

After you're read them all you can make your own mind up.

There was a lot of flack on the MFAT and Military Forums too, but that died out as the truth shone through in the end.

Happy Reading

Steve

keeton

Reaction score
suppose it depends what type of people u become m8s with in a unit, theirs some who are complete nutters and are always lookin for a fight and then theres the marines who have family and dont act like that

not sayin your a nutter now steve but u sure did act like it in them books - no offence, still its those sort of blokes who you want to have by your side in afghan