Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Is it worth going through the whole officer selection process only to be told no?

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Marcus Winterburn, Mar 15, 2019 at 5:08 PM.

1. Marcus Winterburn

Marcus Winterburn New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to join as a YO in the 2019 September batch however I am aware this is highly competitive and I probably won't do as well on AIB as some of the other candidates. I'm 100% percent sure I'll max out on the RMFA on my upcoming POC. This leads me me to believe that it might be worth going in as rating as it would be better suited to me. I would also find it extremely frustrating if I went through the entire officer selection, took time off work etc, passed everything only to be told no.
    I am a confident speaker and consider myself a good leader but I understand they're looking for more than that.
    I consider myself to be extremely fit and am quietly confident about POC however i did not come out of uni with a 2:1 and I know I won't perform as strong on the aptitude tests as some of the other candidates on AIB. Therefore it is unlikely I will be selected.

Is it worth me sacking off AIB and going straight into recruit training if I pass POC ?

What are the chances if me being selected if I pass POC with strong scores but not so much AIB?

Thanks in advance,

MW

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A very high number of Other Rank Royal Marines are academically qualified to be Officers. I'd suggest thoroughly researching the difference in role between Other Rank and Officer. One is not intrinsically 'better' than the other.

I'll go out on a limb here and say the chances in such circumstances are minimal. But there are others on this forum far better qualified than I am. Hopefully they will chip in with their views.
    Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Marcus Winterburn

Marcus Winterburn New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hi Chelonian,

Thank you for your response.

I believe I know and understand the role of both however financially the officer role is more attractive and would I be wrong in saying more financially lucrative careers would be available upon leaving the corp?

Of course for me its not a question about money its the lifestyle so would relish in the opportunity to be selected to join the marines in whatever capacity.

Thanks,

MW

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A slight hint of contradiction perhaps? :) But a service career, be it Other Rank or Officer, undoubtedly develops portable skills for diverse careers after service.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Nothing wrong thinking even further down the line. But yes an officer on paper would look better in certain job roles.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    You've got to back yourself. If not, why should anyone else believe in you?

Lots of guys go for Offr then end up as OR if they don't make the cut; nothing wrong with that. As @Chelonian says, there are also a lot of Marines out there who are academically qualified to be an officer but have chosen a different route (for variety of role, more soldiering, hate paperwork etc).

Bottom line is decide what role you want to do and go for it...don't die wondering 'what if?'

• Like Like x 3
  7. Steph

Steph New Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1