Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Is it worth it? (Current/served RM)

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Mattys, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Just general thoughts on once you pass out.

I’m 30 in a few months time and it’s something I’ve always wanted to do but I always seem to get motivated to train and be on good money in a job and it kind of fizzes out.
    I have a heart and now a blood condition with the lata a 50/50 on bein passed on with those odds slimming with every year that passes so I know I have only this year to really cement myself on going for it.
    I know if I got to training I wouldn’t give up because I know it would be my only chance and the walls I’d have jumped through to get there so getting injured or just generally not good enough would be my only limits.

I know there wouldn’t be a greater feeling of getting that green beret as so few have succeeded and regardless what ever happened in life knowing that was achieved would be all worth it.

I’m just after general info/feedback on once you pass out is that worth it all?

Being away from family is that worth the life in the marines?

Being tied down to 4 years service knowing very well after passing out you can’t just up and leave if you’ve had enough?

Based at your unit other than friends for life you meet is there actually anything else that makes you enjoy having that life?

I’m sure there must be a few recruits who have passed out go on to their unit and in a short time have questioned if they’ve made a mistake or are doing nothing other than their day to day jobs at the unit as nothing else is going on such as tours/travelling but now being tied down for 4 years?

Just general feedback on if the marine life is actually worth it as a lot of people I expect see adverts and think how badass these men are but don’t generally know what the life is like other than what they see or read online.

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

• Like Like x 4
    • Seen Seen x 1
  3. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
  4. sy_lume

sy_lume Royal Marines Commando

If you have a good civvy life, job and family etc I’d recommend RMR, I know a few lads that leave that behind for the regulars and with it comes regret, there’s a lost more pros to the RMR than you think.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  5. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    While I agree..... the concept is right.

But more pros to RMR? Christ, they can’t even pay the blokes correctly, or on time. And will do anything to dodge paying blokes....

Not to mentioned getting hammered and risking your fulltime employment, or getting sh1t on because heaven forbid your fulltime employment that pays the bills and puts a roof over your head comes first!

• Like Like x 1
  6. sy_lume

Seen, this is just from my experience of working with RMR who had an FTRS draft and spoke quite highly of the RMR.
    Pay is always a big one even in the regulars myself and other oppos find ourselves under paid/overpaid.. which is all good until you have to pay it back!

7. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Aye if he was a rubber then he would love it, if he was ex regular he would be threaders.....

RMR rely so heavily on young/green blokes Who don’t know any better and are too keen to realise there’s glaring problems.

As seen by that last “compulsory” mobilisation..

8. Eagle777

Eagle777 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    As someone interested in joining the RMR would you be able to elaborate on some of these problems as a heads up? Thanks

9. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    What’s your work/industry and do you have a shift pattern/work schedule that can fit around the commitment to RMR?

Most of the problems are for trained ranks, as a recruit you just turn up, right place at the right time and your boots polished.

But recruits haven’t been paid on time, or the correct amount.

As a trained rank, you spend most of your time ferrying the Recruits around to weekends.

There’s more but I don’t want to get into a massive drip session and put you off.

10. Eagle777

Eagle777 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I am currently in my 2nd year of university. If I were to pass the medical, PRMC etc first time I'll probably start phase 1 in my 3rd and final year and phase 2 during what ever job I have after uni. I mean I'm more than happy to hear what you have to say as I think it'll do more good in the long run knowing stuff now. Drop me a message if needed! Cheers

11. sy_lume

I’d make sure I finish uni first and assess your job opportunities after uni too

• Like Like x 1
  12. Eagle777

Eagle777 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I've thought about this it's just hypothetically I can see myself just waiting and waiting and see the RMR as a hindrance to what ever I end up doing. Whereas now if I commit to RMR I at least have time on my side to find a more niche job which can perhaps be more flexible etc. Right now I feel at an advantage because my financial commitments are low and I have plenty of time to find a decent job - that may perhaps suit well with RMR. However, i understand concerns with this approach too! I know the Marine who lead the open night I went to was at uni when he joined the reserves and I'm interested in how students have navigated employment etc. Thanks for the reply !

13. Squatmonkey

Squatmonkey Royal Marines Commando

Organisation, or rather the lack of, is a big one. I thought it was just the nature of recruit training that you have to suck up but no that’s just how it is, things get cuffed a lot and getting any “office type” admin done is pretty much impossible eg getting your pay sorted out or claiming expenses. “Be proactive” however this is difficult as you do not have the authority to get the admin done yourself

When you actually get to do stuff you signed up for or mill about with the lads it’s honestly really good, it’s just the 5% of the time on sh1t details and admin is really really! painful

That said, similar gripes to be made about my civvy job :D

14. Eagle777

Eagle777 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    That does sound irritating! Especially given time is limited so any free time you do have would rather be spent on more important things than chasing up admin etc... Hmm, is this usually across the board in RMR or will it depend on unit to unit? Do you mind me asking what unit you're in? If I were to join I would be attached to RMR Bristol.

15. Advocado

Advocado Royal Marines Commando

The simple answer to your question(s) is:

Yes.