Is it worth joining the RM ?

LUFC

Reaction score
Pretty much I’m just wondering if it’s still worth joining the Royal Marines, it’s been a life long dream of mine and it’s always been centred around wanting to fight for my country. As there’s no wars or major conflicts on right now I don’t see that obviously happening. (Ps: I’m not wishing for a war) Also overtime I’ve heard people talking about how the RM has gone to *text deleted*, don’t know how true this is but with them allowing women to join down to PC and numerous budget cuts I’m wondering the same thing. Sorry for my rant I’m just having a bit of a headache right now with my application. I still want to join it’s just I would like someone to to reassure me on these thing but only if it’s the truth.

louis07

Reaction score
Only you can answer that one, and I think you did in your actual post.
I'm currently getting fit to apply and genuinely can't see myself doing anything else other than becoming a Royal Marines Commando. It's been a life long dream of mine and now I'm 21 and have a bit of civie experience, I'm even more adamant that this is the career for me. One thing I would say is if you have any major doubts about it, have a good think about it as it's not something you can do half heartedly.

Corvo50

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The Corp is the same as any other job in regards to good days and gash days, each day is different though and we get to travel a lot more.

The FCF is still in the very early stages so even trained ranks aren’t sure how it will go however the concept does look exciting.

Women are now joining the Royal Marines will a couple now in the ROP phase so only time will tell in regards to that.

Chelonian

Reaction score
...I’m just having a bit of a headache right now with my application. I still want to join it’s just I would like someone to to reassure me on these thing but only if it’s the truth.
Sometimes applications are not 'Click & Collect' easy. I guess that some applicants become frustrated and seek employment elsewhere. Hey-ho, that's life.

As for future conflicts, I'll throw in a couple of clichés:

1. 'Be careful what you wish for.'
2. 'Expect the unexpected.'

It's worth remembering that service personnel have dripped about falling standards since before the Battle of Agincourt in AD 1415.

THOR

Reaction score
It's now been over 6 years since I first put an application in (medical issues did follow). I've done a few jobs including some time in the Merchant Navy where I was overseas/at sea in a crew of 20. In that career I had some pretty awesome experiences, as you can have in a lot of civi jobs, but when the proverbial hit the fan I found myself surrounded by guys I couldn't trust, both on the skillset level but also more worryingly in the way of character.

I can't say there's ever been a time I didn't want to be in the Corps, but from these experiences my reasons have changed...

When I was younger it was like you say, that desire to be on the sharp end of things, the excitement on kicking down doors and all the rest of it, but now all that takes a backseat. The draw of the Corps now is that when you look to your left or right and see a green lid, no matter where you are or what the context, you know that those guys are of a standard you can rely on, and that first and foremost they have your back and you have theirs.

Doesn't matter if it's 4 years you do or 20, to know what it's like to be part of something like that is worth something as far as I am concerned.

As others have said though, what it's worth comes down to you, and down to you when you're shivering in a puddle at 4am at that.

Starbucks

Reaction score
Hey man
I'm in the same boat as you. About to finish my degree and contemplating if I should take the risk and do some things you won't experience anywhere else except in the RM. The adventure, experience, and the type of disciplined person you'll become is what draws me in. And as one member above said, you won't experience a similar brotherhood anywhere else. I'm taking the risk and going for it. But at the end of the day, you have to decide for yourself, nobody has lived your life or know your situation as well as you do, and only you will have to live with the consequences or regret of either decision.

As far as the condition of the corps goes, I spoke to an officer this week, with the new changes of the Future Commando Force and all, he said it's an exciting time to enter the corps, especially for those starting from the bottom.

My advice would be to flip a coin. You'll know what you want to do when the coin is in the air.

Good luck bud.

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
What do you want to do with your life for the next few years? This is shaping up to be a whole new world with massive uncertainty about how the hell we live. I can only comment on what I’m seeing personally but RM offers a fantastic opportunity to do a whole host of things, develop, train, travel etc I’m not on the recruitment team by the way! It seems to offer a constant in an uncertain world is all I’d say

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I remember a lad on my PRMC saying something like he wasn’t bothered if he passed the tests. To which I replied “what the f*text deleted** are you doing here then”. He went on to pass out with a green lid. personally as mentioned before, if you’re not all in, from the get go, when you’ve had a few nights of no sleep, got your locker trashed again, hating life, your chit will go in early in RT.

it’s only a few years of your life if you hate being stuck in drives if you pass out anyway-vomit-

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes applications are not 'Click & Collect' easy. I guess that some applicants become frustrated and seek employment elsewhere. Hey-ho, that's life.
Advice on this for anyone applying first time, give it absolutely everything and make sure you pass out.

As a rejoin I'm having nightmares - simultaneously in the Med Appeals process due to service medical documents that I'm contesting weren't recorded correctly, and now nearly 9 months waiting for SC because when I left RT last time I decided to go and work abroad, particularly in a country that the UK has security issues with.

Meanwhile ironically just received a phonecall while writing this comment, offering me 12 months work at £4000 tax-free per month if I'm willing to get on a flight to China by the 1st November.

The head spins and wishing it was a simpler time of being 17-18 again with no barriers to success -banghead-

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Meanwhile ironically just received a phonecall while writing this comment, offering me 12 months work at £4000 tax-free per month if I'm willing to get on a flight to China by the 1st November.
Im not saying take the money
..........but take the money;)
Any idea on your timeline for Rt? Just out of curiosity job doing what?

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im not saying take the money
..........but take the money;)
Any idea on your timeline for Rt? Just out of curiosity job doing what?
It's an English teaching job which I've not done before but I've worked with the school directly when I ran Outdoor Education trips in Asia, so one of their teachers dropped me a line.

Very hard decision, as it's a real one of them 'cross roads' so to speak.

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I
It's an English teaching job which I've not done before but I've worked with the school directly when I ran Outdoor Education trips in Asia, so one of their teachers dropped me a line.

Very hard decision, as it's a real one of them 'cross roads' so to speak.
Joining the RM’s is age restricted, however I’m guessing you’re teaching job age limit will be a lot older. Probably want to give the RT another crack before you’re too old mate.
Just my opinion, money doesn’t equal happiness.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I

Joining the RM’s is age restricted, however I’m guessing you’re teaching job age limit will be a lot older. Probably want to give the RT another crack before you’re too old mate.
Just my opinion, money doesn’t equal happiness.
That's very true. I think I'll see what happens with my Med Appeal and SC. If they're a "no" then I'll be on the first flight to China. But if I got to China then found out I was allowed to rejoin RT it would be a regret for the rest of my life!