Is my approach to training wrong?

Echo29

Reaction score
Hi guys, basically I have always had trouble adopting a routine that I can stick to, whether it be because I’m not sure of it, or if I’m doing it all correct.

It’s only day 3 of this program so it seems ironic asking advice on how to stick to one *text deleted*. But here’s the kicker:
I spend 4 days a weeks in the gym lifting hard and heavy. Bench, squat, deads, ohp, etc...
Anyway. Is this too much, and I am deviating from RM style training by doing this? I always find that I’m far too sore the next day to perform my running, or the gym tests for example, to maximal ability.
My question is, how necessary is the gym and lifting heavy in prep for training?
Here’s my current routine I’m among for:

I aim to run 3 times a week at a steady to moderate state pace,

I aim to include 3 days of high intensity training, be it intervals on the rower, bike, treadmill, or a circuit.

4 days at the gym focusing on upper/lower on separate days. I.e, 2 upper days, 2 lower days per week.

And I try to fit in my gym tests all over the week. Usually 4-5 days a week.

Issue is, I feel like my training is sort of focused on bodybuilding more than marine training.

I know the importance of compound lifts, but do you think ditching secondary exercises, i.e, leg press, curls, presses, rows, extensions etc in replace of a lot of gym test type thing much more appropriate? I know it seems kinda obvious, but i just want to see results from both components of my routine.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Anyway. Is this too much, and I am deviating from RM style training by doing this? I always find that I’m far too sore the next day to perform my running, or the gym tests for example, to maximal ability.
My question is, how necessary is the gym and lifting heavy in prep for training?

You have your priorities in the wrong order. You want to make your aerobic fitness and muscular endurance the priority.

A wise career advisor once said to me. “ Yes you might see marines that are massive. But chances are they got that big after RT”

Yes strength training can prevent injury and does help with stuff like bottom field.

But you need to be able to run and you need to be able to smash out body weight exercises.

Take a look in the training methods section of the forum. Arnys training plan is probably the most popular and effective

Best of luck!

Echo29

Reaction score
You have your priorities in the wrong order. You want to make your aerobic fitness and muscular endurance the priority.

A wise career advisor once said to me. “ Yes you might see marines that are massive. But chances are they got that big after RT”

Yes strength training can prevent injury and does help with stuff like bottom field.

But you need to be able to run and you need to be able to smash out body weight exercises.

Take a look in the training methods section of the forum. Arnys training plan is probably the most popular and effective

Best of luck!
Thank you. You’re right. I’ll look into it. I appreciate it

Chelonian

Reaction score

Agreed.

It's often mentioned on this forum by Recruits in training or by Trained Ranks that they were not required to perform even one bench press at CTCRM.

Take a look at Arny's plan. It's helped a lot lf lads on here prepare for their PRMC.

Just to echo comments above, it's CV, leg endurance and functional bodyweight muscle (pull ups, dips, press ups, etc.) exercises that will give you a sound founsdation.

If you haven't done your PJFT yet focus intensely on exceeding the treadmill criterion. The test catches out even good road runners who think they can just cuff it.
Best of luck.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Mileage!

The commando tests aren’t bench, squat and deadlift.

They have a place in training but they shouldn’t be the majority of the training. And arguably, some lads haven’t even used them for training for the corps.

Top marks for enthusiasm and being keen.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Specificity is key...

You wont improve your bench press by doing squats

So why would you try to improve your treadmill time by doing something other than running on a treadmill.

Echo29

Reaction score
Agreed.

It's often mentioned on this forum by Recruits in training or by Trained Ranks that they were not required to perform even one bench press at CTCRM.

Take a look at Arny's plan. It's helped a lot lf lads on here prepare for their PRMC.

Just to echo comments above, it's CV, leg endurance and functional bodyweight muscle (pull ups, dips, press ups, etc.) exercises that will give you a sound founsdation.

If you haven't done your PJFT yet focus intensely on exceeding the treadmill criterion. The test catches out even good road runners who think they can just cuff it.
Best of luck.
Thank you for the advice. Very helpful!

Echo29

Reaction score
Mileage!

The commando tests aren’t bench, squat and deadlift.

They have a place in training but they shouldn’t be the majority of the training. And arguably, some lads haven’t even used them for training for the corps.

Top marks for enthusiasm and being keen.
Let my ego get in the way. Thanks for all the tips guys I really really am grateful for them all. Will update you on how I get on.

Echo29

Reaction score
Specificity is key...

You wont improve your bench press by doing squats

So why would you try to improve your treadmill time by doing something other than running on a treadmill.
Yes specificity is absolutely the key. I’ve always struggled to stay consistent with a program, because I can never find the correct one. But all your comments have really helped, this will certainly give me the edge to my training that has always been absent. Again, Thank you!