Is this a problem?

gibbo

Reaction score
I sent off my app form with my boss as my 1st reference. however, the day after i walked out of my job. Will this be a problem if i get a reasonably poor reference?

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
no, shouldnt be at all, when people are selected for references they will generally only ever talk about your good qualities- even so, the AFCO cannot deny your application because someone thinks badly of you! i wouldnt worry about it!... question is, why did you walk out of your job? you will still have over 2/3 month to wait before you start training!

gibbo

Reaction score
i walked out because i was working with some right idiots, i was assistant manager in a betting shop, and every1 just thought they were the bees knees, especially 1 bloke, if i hadnt left i would have been sacked for kicking his head in! is it possible to call them to tell them to change my reference?

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yes it is possible to have your references changed as they only check them after your interview and medical, shouldnt be a problem, but remember you can use anyone as a reference as long as they arnt related to you! even your nextdoor neighbour!

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
mate don't worry about it you will be fine. people leave jobs its a FACT. you are not the only one.

Daz-PRMC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's actually illegal for a comapny to give you a bad reference. They can however refuse to give a reference, or a a standard one stating dates of employment etc

This looks just as bad as a bad reference funnily enough

I feel your pain mate, I currently work in the same position in a betting shop. *text deleted**text deleted*, isn't it!

gibbo

Reaction score
oh well it should be ok then :smile:

yeah mate its awful, when i took it on it seemed nice and easy, which to be honest it is, just get a load of cocks in all the time wanting to argue with you about payments

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
....the AFCO cannot deny your application because someone thinks badly of you! i wouldnt worry about it!...

Au contraire, the reason we ask for a reference is to confirm your identity & reliability so that we can endorse the selection decision justify the expense of submitting your security clearance.

We also usually write to your last educational establishment if you left in the last 2-3 years. People have most definitely been rejected for poor references.

Your employer is totally at liberty to write a bad report, but only if you were bad. Your employer cannot write an inaccurate reference, so many employers opt for the cop-out by merely confirming you worked for them and your reasons for leaving. It's a peculiar misconception that employers have to say nice things in case they get sued- load of cobblers, they can only be sued if it can be proven incorrect.

The idea of providing a referee is nominating someone that is going to say good things about you. In the event it goes pear-shaped after submitting your application forms you simply need update your careers adviser -just tell the truth, and nominate another referee. You're not the first & won't be the last.

The overriding advice to those that follow on behind is "NEVER burn your bridges with an employer" as you may want the job back if you fail RT.

lharlowl

Reaction score
Yeah, i was slightly worried about similar issue as me and my tutor at college just dont get on so there is no way im going to get a good reference off her. However my second reference which would be my boss from my part time job will give me a very good one i would have thought so will this balance it out??