Is this any good?

Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Haven't done any fitness (as such) for around 3 years besides playing 10 minutes of 5-a-side football on Monday nights, and would regard myself as quite unfit.

Anyways, I ran 1.5 miles tonight (just as a kinda assessment of how fit I am before I start my proper training) and I got 10:25, which I don't think is that bad considering my fitness (and I'm not planning to apply for another 2 years until I've finished uni).

I'm just wondering what you think of that time (whether its a good starting point or not).

I'm *text deleted* do 3 miles tomorrow night so I'll tell you how i get on.

:smile1:

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
2 years to get fit for RM? you could achieve superhuman level fitness in that time, you could be banging out 300 pressups at once followed by 600 situps and running 3 miles in 12 minutes, just takes time :bigsmile:

Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
2 years to get fit for RM? you could achieve superhuman level fitness in that time, you could be banging out 300 pressups at once followed by 600 situps and running 3 miles in 12 minutes, just takes time :bigsmile:
Haha, doubt it....for me anyways :cheesy:

Nahh, as long as I reach a "good" level of fitness before I apply I'll feel happy.

Having two years preparation means that I shouldn't have to go at it too hard (like I would if I had only 4-5 months training).

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Generally speaking, the average RM Other Rank applicant should be able to apply, get fit enough, pass all elements of selection & start Recruit Training within 6 months of sitting the Recruiting Test assuming they are 100% eligible from the outset (IE: right age, medically suitable/medically fit & pass all elements of selection at the first go).

Injuries or family issues aside, if they take longer, they aren't trying & the longer they take to pass selection the less statistically likely they will complete training.

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Haha, doubt it....for me anyways :cheesy:

Nahh, as long as I reach a "good" level of fitness before I apply I'll feel happy.

Having two years preparation means that I shouldn't have to go at it too hard (like I would if I had only 4-5 months training).
Sounds good.

It's what i'd do anyway, get myself to a rediculous level of fitness beforehand if I had that long to get fit, all you'd have to do is push yourself that bit further on each run, go that bit faster each time, and in no time you will be near sprinting. You would become an 'unbeastable' when the training team are 'extra phys' you. :biggrin: :praise:

Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Generally speaking, the average RM Other Rank applicant should be able to apply, get fit enough, pass all elements of selection & start Recruit Training within 6 months of sitting the Recruiting Test assuming they are 100% eligible from the outset (IE: right age, medically suitable/medically fit & pass all elements of selection at the first go).

Injuries or family issues aside, if they take longer, they aren't trying & the longer they take to pass selection the less statistically likely they will complete training.
Thinking about it, I guess 6 months probably would be enough time to get most people up to the required fitness, as long as you put in 100%.

You would become an 'unbeastable' when the training team are 'extra phys' you. :biggrin: :praise:
Haha yea, that would be funny :toung:

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about it, I guess 6 months probably would be enough time to get most people up to the required fitness, as long as you put in 100%.

Haha yea, that would be funny :toung:
Aye! well i'm going to try and get my 3 mile time to around 16:30 in the next few months, wish me luck!! :eek::eek::eek: currently it stands around 22 minutes.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
From the mix of marines i have spoken too it doesnt matter what lvl your fitness is the training team can and do have wonderful ways of making sure you are always being pushed physically, but being super fit still does not mean you can pass commando training since its a mental attitude that far exceeds running speed or strength.

But to answer dans original question a time of 10:25 as a starting point is far better than when i started, i only managed around 12 mins when i first started and now i run it in under 9 on a good day.

Let us know what your 3 mile was like

Chris

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It's the PRMC us unfit *text deleted**text deleted*ers *text deleted* watch for though.

Tis a good time, but what was recovery like? Some of us are naturally quick - first 1.5m for me after only a week training was 9:30, but I was *text deleted**text deleted*ED, I couldnt walk up the stairs to shower without feeling like my legs were dead *text deleted*.

Tonus959

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
*text deleted**text deleted* waiting smash it now!

Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's the PRMC us unfit *text deleted**text deleted*ers *text deleted* watch for though.

Tis a good time, but what was recovery like? Some of us are naturally quick - first 1.5m for me after only a week training was 9:30, but I was *text deleted**text deleted*ED, I couldnt walk up the stairs to shower without feeling like my legs were dead *text deleted*.
Recovery's good - I feel fine.

It's just whether or not I can keep that speed up for 3 miles which I'm worried about.