Issues with application

EdV

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

basically I applied about 3 months ago. I didn't hear anything back for ages and was ringing the AFCO who told me they hadn't received anything and would chase it up. 2 months later I was given a number to call and they told me I was unable to have more than one application open at a time, and an Officer application (which I failed last year) was still open. They closed it, I applied again, I got my medical docs sent through.

2 weeks ago I sent my medical forms off with my eye test and I've not heard anything. I've emailed the AFCO 3 times with no reply, rang them twice, and every time I speak to someone they say they'll chase it up and get back to me, which they never do. Yesterday they said the post hadn't arrived yet but they'd check and if it wasn't there they'd chase it up.

I have a job starting at the end of June that I'm not completely into, but it was (is) a good backup if I didn't pass my PRMC. I was hoping for a PRMC at the end of May/start of June so I could know before the new job starts, but this seems completely unlikely given the issues I'm having. I'm more than willing to have another eye test, fill in more documents, do whatever, but it feels like the AFCO aren't too bothered.

Any advice would be much appreciated

D

dodgyknees

EdV - last week @Ninja_Stoker offered to get anyone who was ready in all respects through the joining process in around a month. If you feel you are good to go, why not take him up on the offer? Your previous application may complicate matters but worth an ask surely?

Reactions: EdV

Buster

Reaction score
Hey bud,
Bad luck for the first application I guess.
Tbf, I hope you aren't joining the Royal Marines to please your AFCO or show off to your mates because that is the wrong mentality. When you go through the forum and you see the reasons given by some of the lads on here, they really want it. I personally don't think those 2 reasons I enumerated above will not be enough to get you through the tough parts of training.
The key with the application is patience I would say. But by the sound of what you said about having another job lined up for June, you didn't even believe in yourself getting passed PRMC. If I was you I would reassess what I really want... Is the Royal Marines really for me? Do I believe enough in myself to get through PRMC and after that the 32 weeks of recruit training and after that keep my standards high (and not to forget that you get a sh*t pay). I get the impression that being a Royal Marine is more a way of life than a job (please correct me if I'm wrong).
This is not meant to be a nasty and pejorative criticism. I hope it is a constructive criticism and that it made you reflect a bit more on your choice.
I don't know anything about your background, your fitness,... This is just my personal opinion from what you have posted above.
Hope I was able to help :)

EDIT: I am also going through the process at the moment. It's my first time. I haven't experienced PRMC or RT yet. I'm just taking everything in my stride at the moment, always trying to give and be the best at what I do: from training for the RMs to doing anything else

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

basically I applied about 3 months ago. I didn't hear anything back for ages and was ringing the AFCO who told me they hadn't received anything and would chase it up. 2 months later I was given a number to call and they told me I was unable to have more than one application open at a time, and an Officer application (which I failed last year) was still open. They closed it, I applied again, I got my medical docs sent through.

2 weeks ago I sent my medical forms off with my eye test and I've not heard anything. I've emailed the AFCO 3 times with no reply, rang them twice, and every time I speak to someone they say they'll chase it up and get back to me, which they never do. Yesterday they said the post hadn't arrived yet but they'd check and if it wasn't there they'd chase it up.

I have a job starting at the end of June that I'm not completely into, but it was (is) a good backup if I didn't pass my PRMC. I was hoping for a PRMC at the end of May/start of June so I could know before the new job starts, but this seems completely unlikely given the issues I'm having. I'm more than willing to have another eye test, fill in more documents, do whatever, but it feels like the AFCO aren't too bothered.

Any advice would be much appreciated
The online application software is frankly, trying at best. It currently does not appear to be multi-platform compatible and because of it many applications are getting hung-up because they are incomplete and the applicant is not aware they've missed anything because it often doesn't reformat correctly on some mobile internet devices. Very often documents can download onto a mobile but not appear until 24 hours later (Go figure!). I know this as I apply myself periodically, to see how long it takes to receive my application.

That aside, whilst not ideal, I'd advise people applying to use a desktop PC with an Internet Explorer browser when applying.

Once you return your completed medical questionnaire and optician report form, your AFCO will automatically forward them upon receipt to the contracted medical company, who in turn, usually email you (check junk mail) to advise you when they will conduct a pre-medical examination triage call. Depending on regional timeline variations, the email is usually sent within about two to four weeks of receiving the hard copy med docs through the post from your AFCO.

If your AFCO have not received your Med Docs within two weeks of you posting them, I'd advise you to pop into the AFCO, in person, and ask for a second copy of your Medical Questionnaire and Optician Report Form so you may complete them and return them in person.

If you have had your full face to face medical, passed selection interview and PJFT, PRMC is usually booked about a month after the PJFT pass.

I've processed candidates from overseas in less than a month from recruit test to entry into Recruit Training.

The issue is whether the individual is 100% ready & good to go, with adequate physical preparation and personal administrative skills regarding the medical stage of the application process.

The bulk of applicants will randomly blame Capita for being so thorough or their GP for wanting payment upfront, or indeed those irksome injuries or the demands of work for delaying their pjft or readiness for PRMC.

Truth is, with adequate prior planning & preparation together with foresight & good communication skills, the average person could easily crack the AFCO elements of selection within a week, get themselves squeezed onto a PRMC the following week and allocated a start date within a fortnight of passing PRMC.

Very, very few achieve this simply because they are adminstratively and physically unprepared.

The challenge? I'll personally ensure you join in weeks few ....but only if you are adequately prepared from the day you submit your application.

If anyone wants to take up the challenge, as a first time applicant, with no previous applications (partial or otherwise), post on this thread but if you intend making excuses or delaying stuff, give it a swerve because it'll be an intense experience and time wasters or admin votexes need not apply.

I'll refer any applicant back to their AFCO for routine processing if they do not maintain impeccable comms (I'll only ring once, no answer, no go) throughout or start making excuses such as pre booked holidays, family/partner issues/work commitments/illness/injury etc., etc.

As stated above, I'm happy to process first time applicants for entry within about a month or so, with adequate prior notice if you are ready in all respects.... but if you are not fully prepared physically or start claiming illness or injuries or do not already have copies of your medical history etc., then it's not going to happen unfortunately.