I've gambled everything for this chance...

Ninja-to

Reaction score
I just thought I'd share my story with you guys and maybe someone else out there is thinking of making some sacrifice to get into the RM. I guess I'm also feeling a fair amount of stress (losing sleep, even having bad dreams) about failing to get in. Here's a bit about why.

I was living and working in Japan, teaching English. I had 4 months of paid holidays per year, spread out, but very nice nonetheless. I was spending most of my free time writing screenplays, spending time with my girlfriend, messing around on my PC, training in ninjutsu with the top teacher of the art in the world, something I was very lucky to be able to do. Life was a breeze really. But then I'd check the BBC news and keep reading about the *text deleted**text deleted* that's going on overseas and how our guys are in there trying to clean up the mess. And that nagging feeling that I was 'missing' something inside, like the feeling you'd get if you never managed to graduate from school or achieve that dream you've always had.

I could go on but I'm hoping people will actually read this so I'll get to the point. I left that comfy job with the crazy amount of paid holidays, left my dojo, even left my girlfriend there in Japan (she'll be coming over soon hopefully) and took the chance. I was told that all I could do in Japan was to get the security check done. There's of course no way for me to take the PRMC in Japan for example... so what that meant is, I had to drop everything to come back to England and try.

Right now I sleep on the couch at my relatives house. I have no job, no place of my own, I have to send messages through email to my girlfriend and friends back in Japan and in Canada (I lived in Canada 10+ years).

This isn't a sob story. I don't regret doing any of this. But I'll be honest, as you can imagine, I'm feeling a great deal of pressure.

What I know I can do:

Marine Push Ups: 39
Sit Ups (in 2 mins): 65
Pull ups: 3 (chin over bar of a goalpost... I think the beam is easier, could probably do 5).
Run: 10 mins, 1.5 miles, with no inclines (I have to go to a gym again and see if I can do the inclines as well. I was burned out quite a bit after the running machine test I did, and could have gone on a bit more, but I don't know if I could keep that up for another 10 minutes as in the 3 miler at the PRMC. I guess the break you get in the middle would help).
Run: 45 mins non-stop at a slowish pace.

As you can see, I'm quite far from a definite pass in terms of fitness. Let me tell you, I'm really worried. I'm training every day that I can, which is at least 4-5 times a week. I've started to get a few minor injuries, which are worrying me a bit more. I'm forced to rest (had to bike ride twice instead of run) which isn't helping my stress level. Being 32 years old, with one shot at the PRMC, after all I've sacrificed... I'm not sleeping too well. If I fail, not only will the obvious be true (I can't be a marine) but I'll also have the humiliation for the rest of my life that I threw all I had away at something and completely ballsed it up.

My interview/written test is April 10th. They won't tell me any other dates. I imagine I'll have a few weeks to a month until the actual PRMC.

Sorry that was a bit longer than I thought it would be. Anyway in case there's anyone else out there in similar situations, you're not alone.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Well good effort on taking a chance Nina-to,

Regardless of what happens you aren't going to get to sixty years old and think "what if", in a way you are giving it your best shot and for that you wont have any regrets.

You should be proud of the sacrifice and so will your friends and loved ones, it shows that you have the ability not to give in when things are tough and can be relied upon.

I hope all goes well for you buddy and I'm sure others feel the same.

Best of luck,

GW

flump1

Reaction score
good effort mate, keep up the training, push hard and when it gets tough just crack on. good luck for when u do *text deleted* PRMC, just give it everything and a little more, doing what *text deleted* doing shows that u have some badass determination man, thats what there looking for.

good luck, all the best and i hope *text deleted* dream comes true

. calum.

Aussie89

Reaction score
good luck with it all mate. you seem like you really want it

all the best to you

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The very best of luck to you, particularly as circumstances have left your application to be started at the very last possible chance - that in itself is stress enough.

The other issue is the financial implications alone are usually a problem for those taking such an income drop from an established wage to start on £12.6K recruit pay.

It can be done, hence the fact you are just within the age parameters. Top tip to affirm your ability to complete PRMC: I'd strongly recommend attending a RMAD if there's one available in your locality. The difficult bit, as you have identified, is developing both upper-body (pull-ups/press-ups) and your CV fitness through regular 3-5 mile runs in equal measure & being able to layer the exercises so as each discipline can be completed in relatively quick succession.

Hopefully there's still time to achieve the physical standards & enter recruit training before your 33rd birthday.

Again, Good Luck.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I know what Ninja-to means about the fear of failure. I'm leaving uni next year but i'm terrified that if I go for officer and fail, I will not be given a chance as a regular marine. I have no doubts about my ability to pass a recruit but not 100% confident I cud become an officer. Not sure what 2 do-ne ideas?

steve.3

Reaction score
as u might read in other places on this site they are not looking for u to be superman at prmc, what there looking for is potential mainily how hard u can push urself. so aslong as you go balls out and dont give up then you would stand a betterchance than a super fit person who just coasted his way through all the tests, it looks like uve got alot of motivation so dont give up, my prmc results wernt the best so if uve got any questions dont be afraid to ask mate

Nod 88

Reaction score
Thats ledge mate, 32! I was slightly concerned at going in at 25 years young. Makes a great story as well.

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
if i had a hat i would take it off.

you can do it !

good luck

CJ

Ninja-to

Reaction score
To every poster in this thread, I really appreciate the support guys.

Greywing, I never thought of it that way. You're absolutely right, even if I don't make it, I'll never have to think 'what if.'

My 33rd birthday is September, that's why I was told 'one chance at the PRMC.'

I have my interview and psychometric test tomorrow. I know the written test is easy, and the medical shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully I'll get an idea of when the PRMC might be so I can know how much time i have to get ready for it.

Again, thanks for that boost of confidence. What the hell, I'll put in 110% and see what happens.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I know what Ninja-to means about the fear of failure. I'm leaving uni next year but i'm terrified that if I go for officer and fail, I will not be given a chance as a regular marine. I have no doubts about my ability to pass a recruit but not 100% confident I cud become an officer. Not sure what 2 do-ne ideas?

If fail Officer selection (POC & AIB) there's absolutely nothing stopping you from applying to join as an Other Rank Royal Marine. (Not sure why you think otherwise).

Good luck on your primary option & if not successful, your secondary option also.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Sorry to spoil the party and all that.

I was pretty much in the same boat. I had a great job, a good income. And i gave it all up to follow a child hood dream.

I failed my PRMC last week, and in essence lost the lot.

But now im off to the 1st Btn Rifles, and a failure has turned into a somewhat success.....moral of the story. Allways have a back up plan.

And failure is only a failure if you let it be.

Ninja-to

Reaction score
Sorry to spoil the party and all that.

I was pretty much in the same boat. I had a great job, a good income. And i gave it all up to follow a child hood dream.

I failed my PRMC last week, and in essence lost the lot.

But now im off to the 1st Btn Rifles, and a failure has turned into a somewhat success.....moral of the story. Allways have a back up plan.

And failure is only a failure if you let it be.

How did you fail?

And can't you try again? I know I can't, because of my age. Are you over the age limit?

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
How did you fail?

And can't you try again? I know I can't, because of my age. Are you over the age limit?

I failed on the pull-up's i did 2 then slipped off the pull up bar due to sweat it gets really slippy. They let me try again, but still it was just too slippey for me.

Other than that i trained hard. If you fail you fail, at our age im sure you have had enough failures. Juts got to train to ensure you pass, i can tell you it isnt easy, infact its probably the hardest physical thing i have ever done.

I dont know how old you are but im sure the upper limit is in the 30's....but this time *text deleted* been given 6 months, which i cant wait for becasue of financial reasons.

Ninja-to

Reaction score
I'm 32... I have to take and pass the PRMC the first time, and by the end of July.

I'm having a bit of trouble with my pull ups too. I can do 4 at least, but the goalpost I'm doing it on seems a bit hard... can't quite get my chin over the top, feels like my hands slide around and move so I can't get a grip. Not sure if that's just my muscles aren't strong enough or what, but it's enough to worry me.

My runs are worrying me too. (I just wrote a long bit about my running and thought I'd better start another thread...).

Mat

Reaction score
Goal posts are in my opinion harder to do a complete pull up on, you cant get a good grip and as ive discovered a good grip can be a huge help. Is there no way you could put a weight bar across two wardrobes or something like that? it would allow you to practice the full range of motion and develop your grip, usually I do my pull ups on anything I have available that will support my weight. I used to have trouble with them too but now I feel a lot more confident.

Good luck with your training mate, I hope you do it!

royal

Corporal RM
Reaction score
I'm having a bit of trouble with my pull ups...the goalpost I'm doing it on seems a bit hard... .

First off, good effort, keep pushing yourself. You are no-where near too old and your mature mindset will see you carry on when the young racing snakes get a little bit cold and a little bit tired ;).

Second off, chin-ups are one of the easiest things to improve. Get off the bloody goal posts - I can't think of anything worse to do them on. For your PRMC you'll be doing it on a beam which allows better grip plus slight wrist support. You're just demoralising yourself on the goal posts. If you can't do chins anywhere else and can't get to a gym to do lat pull-downs, throw a rope over the goalpost bar and use that, or a thin towel and chin up either side of the post (incidentally a great way to improve fore-arm strength, if you're still doing your ninjutsu).
Try spacing your chin ups throughout the day. Do a few here, a few there, but keep count of how many in a day. There are quite a few different ways to improve chinups - including seated and up-right rows with heavy weight etc.

P.S. How did you get on with the written etc. on the 10th?

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* quite irrelevant but I tried to be clever and give my mates a pull up contest on a goal post, they said 'you first' so I hopped on.. It was so cold my hands stuck to the crossbar and I had to rip them off, I had sore hands for about 2 weeks after =(

Good luck with your application, with your age you should have alot of people looking up to you, a great excuse in my opinion to crack on and be that little more determined and that little more motivated. Anyway, the best of luck and let us know how things go especially PRMC, a PRMC diary would be awesome from you.

Ash

Ninja-to

Reaction score
The goalposts definitely seem harder than they should be. I'll try finding something better to practice on. I'm in a park when I run so there should be a decent tree somewhere. I think the wrist support would be a huge help in doing them too.

Right now I'm focusing on my running, that's my worst weakness at the moment. Pullups I agree are probably easier to improve in.

Being 32 will probably have me feeling a bit uncomfortable in there, but hopefully the trainers and staff won't give me too much of a hard time just because I'm older. I just don't *text deleted* be the guy that people have to 'help' or wait for... I'll absolutly hate that. It actually gives me focus when I'm running.

I'm starting a blog to talk about the tests etc. I'll post a link when it's ready.

The written test was pretty easy. No problems there. I have my eye test tomorrow. Pretty sure I have good eyes, I had an eye test not too long ago. I don't wear contacts or glasses so expecting good results.

I kept up with ninjutsu right up until I left Japan last month. I'm heading down to a dojo in the Walsall area tomorrow night to see if I can find it and get some training in again.

Josh

Reaction score
hi im in a similar situation i left england 2 years ago and moved to malta now ive moved back and im staying at relatives till im in. i left malta 3 months before my gcses so if i fail ive lost everything so theres a lot on the line plus to make it harder my dad was in the marines and he went to the falklands an my mum was in the r.a.f so theres another reason for goin balls to the walls on my prmc so they carnt say i passed why didnt you.
my prmc is on the 6th may.

New Threads