I've improved my 3 miler but not 1.5 miler

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
On Monday I set my personal best on the 3 miler with a time showing 20.37 and I thought that was pretty impressive. I've got to admit, I've only ever been running 3 milers latley for the last couple of weeks.

Today I did a 1.5 miler and my time was 9.50 so I was very shocked. My personal best on this run is 9.17 so I can't figure out how I was 33 seconds slower!

Do you think because I've done so many 3 milers latley that my body has adapted to a certain pace which will see me slower on shorter distance runs which involve more speed but will see me quicker over a longer distance?

My PRMC is under two weeks away, I'm screwed if I don't get that time down!

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Mte, you're not screwed if you don't get that 1.5 miler time down, because think about it:

Your 3 miler is 20.37.

The three mile run of PRMC is done over the 2 1.5 milers, the first, run at a 12.30 pace. This pace would mean your 3 miler would be 25 minutes. The second 1.5 is best effort, therefore, imagine you have run your first half of a 3 mile run 2.30 slower than usual, all you have to do is make up that time, ie pick up the pace, and hurt yourself somewhat. Maybe practice doing that, a 12.30 1.5 miler, followed by a best effort 1.5 miles. Start timing your runs at 1.5 mile intervals.

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ah right, do you think maybe I'm not pushing myself hard enough then? To be honest, the run wasn't painfull but I just wouldn't pick up the pace.

Some hard arse training next week thats for sure, I haven't been pushing myself latley I just need to tell myself that I'll only improve by pushing myself.

Off now, cya and hope for more replys!

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It may not be that, everyone has off days where they can't get the 'right' rhythm. You can't over analyse these things, because that can lead to doubts and over-complications. You had an off day, move on to the next one.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Try doing grid sprints.

I do this every day.

12 mins - 10.0 Kph for 1 min 16 Kph 2 Mins4 times over basically.

Then 12 mins 12.kph for 1min and 2 mins of 10.0 Kph 4 times over.

I normally do this prior to a weights session as well as after. good feeling when your done

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Try doing grid sprints.

I do this every day.

12 mins - 10.0 Kph for 1 min 16 Kph 2 Mins4 times over basically.

Then 12 mins 12.kph for 1min and 2 mins of 10.0 Kph 4 times over.

I normally do this prior to a weights session as well as after. good feeling when your done

I do something similar. I like to wack up incline between 3% - 4% then dig out blind for two minutes (on high speed of course).

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
I do something similar. I like to wack up incline between 3% - 4% then dig out blind for two minutes (on high speed of course).

Oh yeah i forgot that, always put you incline to min of 2%

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just to mention that I only practise on road. It was very wet and windy when I went out for my runs though...

Does anyone know good energy and recovery food?

Necki

Reaction score
Just to mention that I only practise on road. It was very wet and windy when I went out for my runs though...

Does anyone know good energy and recovery food?

not really sure about recovery food, but eating bread/pasta and other carbohydrates is supposed to be good at slowly releasing energy (eat day before or hours before running), and Bananas are really good for instant energy and they count towards 5 a day *text deleted*.

New Threads