January 4th ROP start date

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
My careers advisor has informed me all intakes are full until April.
Yep, I'd heard similar due to the covid restrictions the training capacity had reduced and pushed back ROP start dates for those in the recruit pipeline.

Hopefully once the mass testing rolls out and the vaccine hits the streets more widely in the spring, the wait to join will quickly reduce. It's appreciated this is frustrating and the difficult bit is keeping focused and fit for the prolonged wait. Whenever there's a choke-point from selection to entry many individuals unfortunately strike off looking for alternative career opportunities. Previously in recruitment we imagined we had a large number waiting to join in the 'header tank' but when the tap was opened, there were very much less than imagined.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
On a positive point wouldn't this mean you would find the lads who do join have a less of a chance of quitting so would mean possibly a higher pass out percentage.
In theory a person waiting 4 months to join would outwardly seem more determined than a person that passed on Friday, starts on Monday.

That said, some RN branches have waiting times in excess of 24 months. Upon entry, there are several types: some absolutely determined, some disappointed with the job after the long-awaited anticipation. Finally there's those who maybe a bit lazy, stop training and stop looking for work in the interim - these are the group most likely to quit early doors.

johno4

Reaction score
Yep, I'd heard similar due to the covid restrictions the training capacity had reduced and pushed back ROP start dates for those in the recruit pipeline.

Hopefully once the mass testing rolls out and the vaccine hits the streets more widely in the spring, the wait to join will quickly reduce. It's appreciated this is frustrating and the difficult bit is keeping focused and fit for the prolonged wait. Whenever there's a choke-point from selection to entry many individuals unfortunately strike off looking for alternative career opportunities. Previously in recruitment we imagined we had a large number waiting to join in the 'header tank' but when the tap was opened, there were very much less than imagined.

Ninja do you think the No start dates till April thing is definite ?

Is there any chance things could clear up before April , or I could maybe get a spot on an earlier intake due to somebody else pulling out or a cancellation ?

(I was really keen to start in Jan or Feb)

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
In theory a person waiting 4 months to join would outwardly seem more determined than a person that passed on Friday, starts on Monday.

That said, some RN branches have waiting times in excess of 24 months. Upon entry, there are several types: some absolutely determined, some disappointed with the job after the long-awaited anticipation. Finally there's those who maybe a bit lazy, stop training and stop looking for work in the interim - these are the group most likely to quit early doors.

I think there's definitely a lot of factors at play now, particularly due to COVID causing huge unemployment and various services offering various waiting times etc, that can influence whether someone chooses to wait or not.

I won't go much into my situation as it may end up becoming a massive drip and derail the thread more but after spending most of the year simultaneously unemployed because of covid (the odd temp job when they have work to offer) and in a drawn-out RM application process spanning nearly 12 months already, meanwhile being offered almost immediate start dates for multiple army roles (some of which can do AACC or P Coy), I really can sympathise now with those who take a quicker route and to be Frank I'm not ruling it out any more myself. Previously life was entirely about the pursuit of the Green Beret First and foremost, with the career benefits a fairly distant Second. 2020's curveballs and upheaval of life, combined with getting older, have for the first time in my life made me realise that I need a solid career first and foremost with earning a CGB being a very special cherry on top.

Not meant to be a drip or rant and certainly don't want to be seen as not being "all in" for the CGB - I've spent long enough in my life pursuing it to rigidly defend my commitment to earning it - but perhaps some food for thought on why some candidates may abandon ship in these current times!

Chelonian

Reaction score
...but perhaps some food for thought on why some candidates may abandon ship in these current times!
Everyone's circumstances differ and sometimes pragmatic decisions must outweigh 'the dream' in order to put food on the table.

Someone finding themselves approaching such circumstances might consider having a conversation with their CA. Just in case someone allocated a January start drops out. This forum alone has seen a handful of individuals injuring themselves in the weeks and days before a RT start and having to postpone.

Just to manage expectations I'm not suggesting that anyone bank on getting a substitute start date but if one's CA is aware that someone is eager for an early start; is ready for RT; and is also a worthy case, who knows?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
@Chelonian makes a very good point with regards the possibility of cancellations occuring. Many is the time I've previously had the pleasure to ring somebody up and enquire whether they were willing to bring foward their start date.

This is a good reason to keep up the phys, but equally it's accepted that a long wait is demoralising.

With regards taking 12 months to complete selection, under normal circumstances the average 'apply to entry' was around 8 months. The reasons are many, but most common reasons are due to avoidable hold-ups at medical and/or people applying before they are fully fit.

Smithy

Reaction score
I’ve got this date as well, been delayed many times now it’s actually been over a year since I initially applied just been delayed so many times.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I’ve got this date as well, been delayed many times now it’s actually been over a year since I initially applied just been delayed so many times.
What hold-ups have you encountered along the way?

Smithy

Reaction score
What hold-ups have you encountered along the way?
I’ve been held up for many reasons recently because of covid but I’ve had to do the PJFT twice but the second one wasn’t as a test but to see how I maintained my fitness. My other delays were for the ROP, I was meant to be going to CTCRM for the 9th November to be delayed until 23rd and now 4th January as the groups were divided up into smaller groups