Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Job Opportunity Help & Advice

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by flippertyre, Jun 6, 2020.

1. flippertyre

flippertyre New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hello all,
    I am writing with the hope of getting a bit of guidance/advice/clarity from people who know more than me about joining the Royal Marines. I hope you can help.

To give some background:
    I have applied to join as a RMO for 2021 entry which, means I have around 14 months before RT.
    Between now and joining I would like to use the time constructively (which I define as doing something I enjoy, that prepares me for my long term goals).
    Career-wise, the direction I would like to move into is crisis response. That being a key motivation of mine for joining the RM is to get leadership, management, and practical experience working in humanitarian crisis response.
    I have recently been offered an amazing opportunity to work in New York for 6 months for the United Nations which fits with this plan of mine.
    I am 24, so joining in 2021 would be my last chance to do so.
    To clarify, I want to take this opportunity at the UN as it will add to my prospects beyond the RM. I am still dead set on wanting to join the RM.

The Problems you can help me with:
    Would working in New York for 6 months affect my eligibility for joining the marines? (I read you have to have been in the UK for the past 5 years)
    In the event that I am in New York, pass my medical, and get invited to PRMC would there be flexibility to rearrange a date to attend PRMC?
    If this is not the case, is it likely that the PRMC and other hiring processes will take place before January 2021?
    I have read quite a bit regarding the role of the RM and from my understanding, they are very involved in humanitarian crisis response. For someone like myself who is motivated by this aspect of the RM, do you believe that by joining as a RMO I will be able to pursue this?
    I understand that 25 is the cut off age for RT, however, I have also read and heard of cases where people are older than 25, can someone provide a bit of clarity on this?
    I suppose I am asking as I do not want to sacrifice my chances of joining the RM, however, I also want to use these next 14 months constructively.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any responses will be very much appreciated.