Job Security

alfaholic

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi lads just wondering if anyone else is giving up a good job to join the corps.
I'm currently a financial planner in a bank and my job is pretty secure and well paid, I am however bored out of my brains and want to do something different, I'm 28 and have a few financial commitments which I can still pay on RT wage so no problems there.

My main concern however is how secure the job is when your in RT?
I've heard horror stories about the corps MD'ing you for trivial or minor injuries during RT just because they dont like you or your not what their looking for.

Just wondering how well they do actually treat you doing RT injury-wise, also how long you are paid for if you are MD'd so you can find another job or are you just 'sacked' and told to go home?.

I would never leave of my own accord because becoming a marine is my dream and it's all I think about. Just worried if anything happens injury-wise i'm out of a job and in the current climate would be difficult to walk back into the job I currently have.

Any advice or anyone else in the same situation would be greatly appreciated.

Kiddeh

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Good morning mate... you made a few points so I'll try and address them all...

Right job wise I had already applied to and was accepted for a placement in the Irish Army and before I started my RM application... my family thought I was a mental case turning down a guaranteed job for life which is totally safe and more comparable to being a security guard at a hotel than a conventional Armed Military Force but before all that I'd worked in a call centre on an off for 3 years... the off time was due to travel to far off places for long periods

Your job on RT is completely secure provided you dig out blind and want to pass everything and are mentally strong enough to crack on through those low times... Regards the MDing it's not something I've heard... I have heard that the medical corps stick people in Hunter who don't want to go and would rather continue with their troop but to be fair to them they do it for good reason... better to fix the niggley hinges before the whole door falls off...

and from what I've been told the treatment is top class... if not a little boring... typical day in Hunter because of injury rather than failing criteria tests is wake up eat train for 8 hours with a PTI who's aware of your limitations eat more then sleep.... very monotonous but they want you to keep feet

Just to rest your mind a bit... on my last PRMC we had a Q&A session with some Hunter Nods one of whom had been in Hunter a total of 8 months! 6 of which had been consecutive... on his commando tests during the speed march he had tried so hard to keep up and finish that the muscle in his lower left leg (Tibiallis Anterior and Soleus for you boffins) had literally started dying inside him... when he finished the run he collapsed and woke up in the hospital to find they'd removed a large portion of the muscle and dead tissue and he was told he was lucky they didn't have to amputate at the knee... anyway he has been completely rehabilitated and has a new knarley scar on his leg which he uses to pick up girls feeding them storys like... "I was saving a child from a burning building and a beam fell on my leg" and the like furthermore he is still doing honking phys everyday in Hunter company and he's now in there because he punched something and wrecked his tendons in his knuckles

Moral of the story is that they want people to pass RT... they're putting a lot of money into you as an asset so why would they just heave you out... and besides if they wanted to get rid of you surely the training team would be more than capable of breaking you... it's your decision really but job security definitely shouldn't be something to tip the scales on what you do... though remember you are advised to pay off any debt and sort out your finances before you join up

Hope all goes well fella and hope this helps

alfaholic

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks mate that was a great help. Yeah I'm not in massive debt just have a mortgage, car loan etc.

I didn't realise they keep you in hunter pretty much indefinitely until your fixed (unless it's unfixable obviously) that's something I was concerned about.

Thanks for replying cheers pal

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thanks mate that was a great help. Yeah I'm not in massive debt just have a mortgage, car loan etc.

I didn't realise they keep you in hunter pretty much indefinitely until your fixed (unless it's unfixable obviously) that's something I was concerned about.

Thanks for replying cheers pal
alright mate, im in the same situation as you. i got a secure job, half decent wage & im leaving it all behind to join the corps. i also have a car loan etc. to pay off.

its worth the risk in my eyes...

also i got told if you are injured within the first 9 weeks of training you get binned.... ninja will have to confirm that on though.

Kiddeh

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
also i got told if you are injured within the first 9 weeks of training you get binned.... ninja will have to confirm that on though.
wow who told ya that Alex? would definitely like clarification... but to be fair you don't do to much that could get you hurt in the first 9 weeks unless you fall off the ropes... get hurt doing CQC or inadvertently shoot yourself in the foot

Barry McGuigan

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Not true, if you start RT with a pre-existing injury then yes you will get binned, but if you have a genuine injury you will get put into Hunter Company!

I myself am currently in Hunter after a fractured foot in two places (week 25).
The rehab is brilliant, will get you tip top in no time (should be out in 2 weeks!! )
You will come out of hunter fitter than you would in training (purely for the fact you get smashed with phys in the later stages of your rehab!! )

There are people in hunter who milk the system and don't have many intentions of getting out (they give it a bad name) however if you want to get out of hunter you have to dig out and crack on with rehab etc..
You also have a lot of spare time to learn more than you would in mainstream.

Any questions about it feel free to ask.
,Tobes

alfaholic

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
This is what I mean if I fall and break my ankle after 2 weeks I then have no job....

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I am sure they told us that on my PRMC... im obviously wrong so sorry for the confusion & cheers for clearing it up!!