Joe Calzaghe

C

critchmufc

anyone watch, i was up till 6am watchin it

Calzaghe rinsed him

was a cracking fight

manonfire

Reaction score
Yeah i stayed up to watch it. Was expecting a bit more from Jones. Jones in his prime would of won that easy

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was expecting more of Jones too, awesome fight though. I think Calzaghe will have at least one more fight *text deleted*.

C

critchmufc

i dunno if he would have, calzaghe cut him, the blood was so bad he could barley see out of his left eye, i think even in his prime he would have lost that fight, calzaghe was to quick, landed 900 punches in the fight, and combined with a beast of a cut he put over jones' eye.....

manonfire

Reaction score
Calzaghe wouldn't of landed 90 punches on Roy Jones in his prime. The guys lost all of his foot work. The hand speed is still there but he wasn't putting his punches together and just laying on the ropes and letting Joe slap him about a bit. Calzaghe beat a man way past his best *text deleted*

C

critchmufc

jones said hiself he was in the best shape of his life, a cut like that is a big factor in a fight

manonfire

Reaction score
The first boxer for over 100 years to move up from middle weight to heavy weight and win world titles former 4 weight world champion voted best boxer of the decade for the 90's at 39 i find it hard to believe he was in the best shape of his life.

manonfire

Reaction score
Why wouldn't Calzaghe fight him 10 years ago when this fight was first talked about then? Because even Calzaghe himself said Jones would of beat him.

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly *userdeleted*, a Roy Jones Jr in his prime would have demolished Calzaghe in his prime. Roy Jones obviously peaked earlier in age then Calzaghe who in my opinion has peaked around now whereas Jones peaked in the 90's.

Jones vs Hopkins was in 1993 and Jones was 24 years old and Bernard only 28 years old. At that time Calzaghe was only 21 and just turning pro, while Jones was fighting for the world title.

Basically, both Jones and Hopkins would have been hot favorites to beat Calzaghe back then.. and if you put a 36 year old Calzaghe into a time machine to face a 30 year old Roy, chances are Calzaghe would get humiliated!

YouTube - Roy Jones Jr Highlight

Seriously, look at the sharpness of Jones back then!

matty630

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
jones would have battered him, calzaghe has fought bums all his career or people past it. looke at the people jones has fought in his time, and wont swerve anyone. its a shame seeing great boxers getting beat when there past there best, like tyson getting beat by the likes of mcbride *text deleted* he needs the money.

C

critchmufc

why is calzaghe so underated???

he is 37, jones is 39

jones could of got to the fitness calzaghe was at easily, i just think he couldnt be arse, and with a cut like that, he wouldnt have won the fight if he was in his prime

PaddyTheManc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Calzaghe is being hugely underatted in this thread and jones masivly over rated.

manonfire

Reaction score
Everybody knows the move back down to light heavy finished Roy's career back in 2003. Like i said best boxer of the decade for the 90's go back and watch some of his older fights. Calzaghe is way over rated just because he boxed a couple of hall of famers way past there best doesn't make up for a career of weak defences against boxers most people never heard of.