Joining age and parental consent.

Necki

Reaction score
Ok, so I know that some recruits join/sign up when they're 16, but I was wondering if you enlist under the age of 18 do u need parental consent?

The main reason for me wondering is that although I'm at college at the moment, I may be able to achieve 180+ UCAS points in my first year. I would love to start my application next spring/summer with the intent of doing PRMC/ start of RT before the end of August. The only problem is that, I'm really don't think my parents would be "on board" with the idea of me joining the armed forces. Would I need their consent their written consent or could I join out of my own free will?

(EDIT: I wish to enter as on officer, hence the UCAS points)

JoeSmith

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah you might as well jsut wait to your 18 gives your more time to think if that's really what you want to do.
That's what i'm doing
Because say you sign up now and you pass RT you might spent 4 years with a Display Team and might hate it and won't be able to leave.
Because i guess talking to College kids all day who don't really appreciate them would piss me off to be fair

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i heard display team is one of the best ones u can get, i would love it

JoeSmith

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I suppose it would be fun.
But for me i don't believe i'd enjoy it that much doing the same thing for that much time.
It's a good way to recruit i suppose

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to say that you should really talk to your parents about your idea to join the Armed forces, almost everyone needs strong family support. Also far as i know intake for 2009 has already happened so you application for officer would be end of 2009 for 2010 so thats two years for you right there.

Necki

Reaction score
I would like to say that you should really talk to your parents about your idea to join the Armed forces, almost everyone needs strong family support. Also far as i know intake for 2009 has already happened so you application for officer would be end of 2009 for 2010 so thats two years for you right there.

Indeed I was planning on talking to them (possibly at length) and discussing it. However, I was just wondering if they refused to give "consent" whether it would have been possible to join before 18.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Indeed I was planning on talking to them (possibly at length) and discussing it. However, I was just wondering if they refused to give "consent" whether it would have been possible to join before 18.

It may be worth asking your parents to visit the AFCO with you so they can ask questions and get the answers they seek.

Many parents have reservations and often, when in posession of the true facts, may view the job more favourably. If they don't at least you tried. You really do need the support of your family/partner if at all possible in Recruit Training, regardless of your age.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score

It may be worth asking your parents to visit the AFCO with you so they can ask questions and get the answers they seek.

Many parents have reservations and often, when in posession of the true facts, may view the job more favourably. If they don't at least you tried. You really do need the support of your family/partner if at all possible in Recruit Training, regardless of your age.