Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Joining as a officer with a HNC

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by curky453, Mar 25, 2020.

1. curky453

curky453 New Member

I've been a longtime lurker on this forum and have learnt lots of interesting things about lots of different subjects I've always had an interest in the military particularly the role of an officer.

From about the age of 18 I'd been semi seriously training to join the marines as an officer and got to a decent level of fitness or at least for a starting point for serious training, (by semi serious training i mean trying to fit it round 12-16 hour days doing extremely heavy manual labour through out my apprenticeship) and studying to complete a HNC.

Then due to an extremely stressful two years in my personal life i stopped training and had to stop the HNC, so my fitness dramatically dropped and given the fact I turn 25 in july I came to the realisation that joining the marines as an officer isn't going to happen, however recently I've started working on my fitness again and I came to learn that the army accepts officer cadets upto the age of 28 and 11 months so there is possibly still an option to be an officer.

The current coronavirus epidemic and the instability it is causing on my current job is making me seriously think about what direction I want my career to go.

To join as an officer I'd need 72 ucas points but because I did a level 2 apprenticeship instead of a levels I dont think i have any.

To progress in my current industry i would need to complete the HNC that I started which i an considering doing but I am also considering the officer route as well, but would completing the HNC mean I now meet the educational requirements to join the army as an officer or would I have to do A levels instead?

I'm currently at a cross road in my career and unsure what the best next step would be.

Sorry for such a long introduction post,thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully somebody could offer some insight.

2. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

A HNC would not map across for the RN/RM but the Army may differ, can I presume you have not looked at the Army website to find out if any info on this ?? I am able to get a direct answer for you tomorrow if it does, my gut says it won't, but will post tomorrow with a answer. If the RM is the route you want you can comission from within but it is very competitive route.

3. curky453

curky453 New Member

I've looked on the army website but all it says is 72 ucas points and 35 alis points are needed, I'd looked for a good few hours and I couldn't find anything else, I could have possibly been looking in the wrong places though.

I had thought about the corps commission route but from the information I've read it doesn't sound like a guaranteed route, however I would never rule it out as even been a royal marine is an honor in its self.

A direct answer would be perfect, thank you for your help.

4. The guide

A commission is certainly not guarenteed .!!..will try for the answer asap.!

5. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Royal Marines Commando

Just playing devils advocate here but what do you hold in higher regard? Being a Royal Marine or being an officer?

• Like Like x 3
  6. The guide

@curky453 , Hi just spoke to the Army recruiters direct for you , They do not have a mapping sheet for HNC , so, unfortunately, the only way to check is to ask your course provider what equivalency you will gain from you qualification in terms of UCAS if any.

7. curky453

curky453 New Member

Thank you for the help the guide, it means a lot that you were so willing to help, I'll contact the course provider and see what comes of it.

Scotty6 To be honest after some serious thought I'm not to sure, both routes have there extreme merits and one is no better than the other and it would be a honour to do either, but there is just something about that green beret that's impossible to shake.

8. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Royal Marines Commando

I suppose it’s an odd question because I’m asking what do you hold in higher regard, a rank or a cap badge. But what I mean is that they are both vastly different jobs. Officer in the army you would have to choose a regiment etc. I’m assuming it would be more infantry based if you’re interested in the RM. And an officers role is then vastly different from a gravs role both in the army and the RM. if there’s something about the green lid you can’t shake you can always be an army commando but you will not be a RM. my advice is if you want a commanding and more managerial career with better pay, admittedly in the army it’s with a bit more pomp and ceremony attached then go army rupert. If you want a challenge, and to be on the ground doing the job, then join the RM. I’m obviously bias so feel free to tell me to wind my chops in. Like I said just playing devils advocate!

9. curky453

curky453 New Member

As the more and more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the royal marines, I think I'd possibly regret more not been a marine instead of not been a officer. I think it was the challenge of becoming a RM that first appealed to me then the ambition of becoming a officer stemmed from there.

Ones things for certain a decision this big will definitely take a lot of thinking through

10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The best decisions are often those which are made from an informed position.

Sound comments from @SCOTTY6 above.
    The roles of Other Rank and Officer are very different. One is not intrinsically better than the other. A couple of observations:

AFCOs encourage academically qualified OR candidates to apply for Officer. This is not a compliment. It merely means that a very basic box has been ticked; possibly the second on the list after ensuring that the candidate has a pulse. :)

I understand that a high number of Royal Marines OR Recruits are academically qualified to be Officers. I'll wager that the majority of those chose not to even consider Officer entry.

From a personal perspective my old pa was horrified by my own choice to go OR. His experience of service just after WW2 convinced him that Officer was the 'better' career path for me. But by the 1970s his views were very out of date and he was wrong.
    The REME sergeant who recruited me was, in turn, horrified that I chose Parachute Regiment over the REME. No surprises there.
    But he too was wrong. Which takes me back to the first paragraph in this post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1