Joining as a Reserve Royal Marine Officer

Discussion in 'RM Officer questions' started by Bruntonator, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Bruntonator

Bruntonator New Member

I am currently in my first year of uni and I plan on commissioning as a reserve RM Officer but I am unsure on the process (e.g. how is training scheduled at weekends or weekdays and how regularly).

I would also like to know if it is possible to complete training whilst still at uni or if I would have to wait till I have finished before applying.

Also on a side note I am a member of the UOTC (Don't hate on me) and was wondering if this will help my application at all.

2. sequoiathrone

sequoiathrone New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    At our detachment its get your lid and then train as an officer. Long path.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Standby for incoming..

Nah, it's a pretty long winded way of doing it. Why not reserves OR then regular Orifice? Sorry, Officer, typo!

Being UOTC certainly couldn't hurt but it might mean an extra set of eyes on you, as some of the UOTC lot don't set a good example and bring about unwanted attention.

What's your plans after Uni? Regulars?

4. Bruntonator

Bruntonator New Member

I'm know that after uni I want to try and commission, but I'm not 100% certain I want to be full time.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

RMR Officers join as Other Ranks (OR).

After completing phase one RMR OR training, they may be recommended to undergo RMR Officer selection, usually an OC board followed by AIB.

RMR Officers, once trained, are employed operationally in the support rather than Troop Commander role.

The aim of the RMR is to flexibly augment the trained strength of the regular Royal Marines, it isn't intended as a 'nice to have' whilst at uni.

The OTC, URNU & UAS are specifically geared toward students and whilst they may not be viewed by some as 'warry' enough, they aim to enhance the military experience alongside primary reason for going to university rather than potentially jeopardise the acquisition of one's degree.

In my experience, despite all the above, many undergrads want to earn a green beret despite the remote possibility of any practical application of the training or being employed in the Commando role in an operational theatre. Those most likely to achieve their goal tend to do it in year one of their studies, that is to say that the later they join the RMR whilst in uni, the greater the odds of failure both with regards the green beret and achieving a credible degree grade.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1