Joining as RM officer after university

grp12345

Reaction score
Hi,

I'll be starting university this September to study physiotherapy. My eventual goal is to join the RM as an officer after graduating; I decided on university as I feel the 3 years will help me to mature further, and physio is a career I would be interested in post RM.

I feel that I could do with improving my leadership specifically prior to joining. I would really appreciate it if you have any suggestions on how I could go about doing this? I'm going to start judo when this lockdown is over, and I enjoy any kind of phys/sport so I'm not overly concerned about fitness at this point - I guess its always something I can taper to the requirements when the time comes. I've been looking at RMR/AR/UOTC, do you think these would help with my overall leadership? I understand nothing fully replicates being an officer, and you generally either have what it takes or not, although I'm sure there are things I can do to develop myself and improve my chances of passing the POC and AIB.

Any feedback and advice on what I can do would be greatly appreciated, I am sure that I'm probably rather naïve at this stage; however, I am willing to work hard to become the type of person the recruiting staff are looking for.

Thanks in advance,
G.

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ve been looking at RMR/AR/UOTC
The royal marine reserves isn't a stepping stone into becoming an officer. Training is 15 months excluding the possibility of getting backdropped or getting an injury. Also, theres a good chance an exercise would clash with uni commitments, theres no real 'opting out'. It may not seem like it but the reserve is a big commitment. I also dont think they would appreciate you joining after they spent time and money on you only to leave a year later. If I was in your position I would just have fun at uni and do a lot of phys. Good luck mate

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
UOTC is certainly a good option as it is set up within university parameters, but any form of group/club where you take a leading type role will help, so a chair/treasurer of a club/group as an instance. Volunteering may also help..so helping with a juniors Judo class after your own, showing a commitment to a cause that is not a self-serving one as a further example \ self-serving (self-improvement) is also fine but the former just shows the applicant in a differing light. Even a project lead within your course could be used during your interview.

Curql

Reaction score
One thing that will definitely improve your leadership skills and even life experience is a program called Camp America (or any program that does the same e.g CCUSA). You will definitely hear some people in university talking/deciding to do it if you don’t know what it is already, but if you look into it and find it appealing to you I recommend it.

grp12345

Reaction score
One thing that will definitely improve your leadership skills and even life experience is a program called Camp America (or any program that does the same e.g CCUSA). You will definitely hear some people in university talking/deciding to do it if you don’t know what it is already, but if you look into it and find it appealing to you I recommend it.
Thanks. I've had a quick look at it and it looks good. Wasn't even something on my radar but I'll give it a good think - definitely a way to get foreign/gap year style experience without blowing the bank :). Have you done it or know anyone that has?

Chelonian

Reaction score
Plenty of opportunities in the UK—both regional and local—which offer development. Stepping outside of one's comfort zone and challenging oneself does not always require travel.

For sure travel broadens horizons but don't disregard opportunities closer to home.

Curql

Reaction score
Thanks. I've had a quick look at it and it looks good. Wasn't even something on my radar but I'll give it a good think - definitely a way to get foreign/gap year style experience without blowing the bank :). Have you done it or know anyone that has?
Haven’t done it myself, thinking of potentially doing it in the future. A few of my mates have and had the best summer of their lives, you get like 30 days left on your visa as well when the camp ends so what people do is the friends they made there they just explore America and stuff, looks proper fun.

TheRents

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yes Camp America can be an absolute blast. Had a mate who did it for his Gap year. Those USA girls love a brit accent and his stamina was tested to the absolute limit!
The only problem was that he was never outside his comfort zone, unless you count a bit of chafing in certain delicate areas -doctor-

Seriously read @Chelonian 's post again. You will be dragged kicking and screaming from your comfort zone from about 0400 on day 1 of training.

As someone wiser than I said "Training isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain" and heads up there is going to be a lot of rain......

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My friend did this, in about a day he was getting 100s Snapchat’s a day from the girls that are friends with the camp leaders, because they were obsessed w his Brit accent. And fun fact, he is now engaged to an American girl he met While he was out there.

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Clearly he fundamentally misunderstood the concept of Camp America then? :)
Ha ha, he ended up flying back with her, so it was a surprise to his parents when an American girl was suddenly staying in their house ;) but all jokes aside, they ended up buying a house a few months later luckily