Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Joining at 16

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by AverageJoe, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Apologies mate.

2. Steeplejackb

Steeplejackb Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I started a level 3 NVQ in Uniformed Public Services when I was 17. I was totally undecided on what I wanted to do, but at the time it was either a military role, or the emergency services.

The course itself was fantastic for the experiences, however it would be of limited academic worth as I came to realise. We did a lot of fitness training, and leadership tasks both theory and practice. The course also involved adventure training, which I got the bug for. I subsequently left the course to pursue a career as an outdoor activities instructor, before sidestepping into the world of industrial rope access.

However, the initial desire to work in a military or emergency service organisation never went away, hence the decision to finally apply for the RM at the ripe old age of 24.

The reason I am telling you all this is to give you an indication of my experience doing a similar course to the one you mention. If you have any questions regarding the course feel free to ask away.

I will add that if I could go back again, I would do my A levels. They are a great qualification to have behind you whatever path you eventually take. The two years can be spent getting very well prepared for the RM, and you will have both Officer and Other Rank entrance available.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  3. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Educationally A levels give you very little advantage as very few jobs have A levels as the entry level educational standard. However, they do give you time to really think about what you want to do in life.

At 16 you have very few life experiences so how do you know what you really want out of life? My advice would be stay in education until you have seen enough of the world to be sure you want to commit to a career. Too many recruits are one dimensional, have no idea about life on the other side of the fence, get disillusioned and end up leaving because they think the grass is greener.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JWJ

JWJ Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I did a Level 3 Ext Diploma in UPS - it got me into a well-ranked university with an unconditional offer, so I would be cautious to take the commonly held view its not worth it academically.

More on topic with the post itself, I would highly recommend joining with more life experience. I joined at 18 and felt I really suffered with lack of maturity and life experience - however there were lads younger than me who didn't have the same experience and older lads who felt the same.

• Like Like x 1
  5. johnnyaged5

johnnyaged5 New Member

It’s worth noting, the time before your 18 doesn’t count towards your service as you are not deployable.

6. kirbymorgan17

kirbymorgan17 Active Member

also,i do not think your pension starts until you are seventeen and six months of age.although i would argue that for any youngsters determined to enlist,this would not be uppermost in their minds,if at all,to deter them from their chosen path in life.

7. AverageJoe

AverageJoe Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks everyone!