Joining at 32

Brock

Reaction score
As the title says I am on the upper age bracket as I turn 32 next month.
Obviously training will be harder at that age but saying all goes well and I pass out how different would a career in the Marines be at that age?

I previously had an application around 5 years ago but that stopped as I was attacked on a night out and had to have facial surgery. I had a screw and a plate put in so would have to see where I am in regards to the medical.

I currently have no commitments other than my job which is fairly decent pay at 45k a year but I need more from life.
Weighing up my options and want as much information about differences in joining at that age before making a decision.

Any help is much appreciated

Reaction score
When I was at CTCRM first time I was medically discharged, I was 21, now I'm 27

I know my body isn't as robust towards injury but my mind certainly is, and I've been told by a couple lads who've had careers or are still in that there is an advantage to joining; older, greater maturity etc. and I would imagine a greater maturity + digging out blind would give you a good chance to be a Diamond in training, and from there highlight yourself sooner to go forward for your Juniors?

All speculation, but I don't think you should be concerned about your age bracket being an issue outside of making sure your body will take the battering CTC delivers, 32 or 21 years old, Norway, Black Alligator, Cliff Assaults and Fast Roping out of helicopters is still cool as hell

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Aside from more aches and pains in the morning,it,s not much of an issue. One thing that some older guys find is the maturity bit can on occasion be annoying, bear in mind you could be living with 16/17-year-olds for up to a year. Group punishment mentality also can get to you a bit when a bit older - but as long as you know it,s coming and suck it up.!.but the older guys often take this in thier stride to be fair, and are able to just chill on the issue.!!

Once passed out you are going to be nigh on 33 so the same thing will aplly at a unit, and you are going to be behind the age curve in regards promotion - The Junior,s course for promotion is not a walk in the park and you will be 37/38 ish..so once again the same issue from training in regards phys except you have a few more years on the clock.

It,s all down to your aproach really and do you want to be "graving" it (a basic marine) living in the field at 34- 37 years old -earning 20k or your current role earning 45K.

If that sound like im putting you off - not the case , i joined at 28, and loved it , but the above is the reality of what you will / could face in the next few years

Brock

Reaction score
Brock, have you considered the RMR?

I'm going have another look into it further as at first it seems so drawn out and a long process. I have a feeling the nearest one is miles away too

Mikej85

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The only problem with rmr if your at the upper limit and get injured you might not be given another chance the next year as they only have one troop a year. I know some one the recently left the service joined when he was 32 left after 11 years at 43.