Joining from Overseas/UK citizen but never lived in the UK

Discussion in 'Overseas Section' started by RoyalsHopeful, Jul 17, 2017 at 9:06 AM.

1. RoyalsHopeful

RoyalsHopeful New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I've been looking at some of the posts made by other overseas applicants but there are far too many that I thought it would be easier to get a direct answer.

I like to think that I have a unique situation, I was born in HongKong a year before HK was handed over to China but I was able to keep my British passport since my father is a Brit himself. After a few years I then moved to the philippines and since 2011 I now live in Australia. I chatted with people in the Royal Navy website to see if it was an Issue but all I was told was that so long as I had a British passport I was fine but it can't be that simple. Surely there would be heavy security checks on me for living overseas, I've only visited the UK once when I was 8 years old.

Also I am a citizen of 2 other countries, Philippines and Australia. Would this possibly cost more complications or regardless by simply being a UK citizen by default I should not have problems enlisting to become a royal Marine?

Cheers for any replies and sorry if these questions where answered in some other post.

2. RoyalsHopeful

RoyalsHopeful New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I actually just read another post talking about residency waivers so that answers some of my questions unless someone wants to elaborate more.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Technically applicants living overseas require five years UK residency before eligible to apply but those holding British, Irish, Maltese or Cypriot passports are eligible for a residency waiver (depending on the countries in which they have lived).

The issue is probably going to be what other passports you may hold and also what countries you have lived in besides Australia as not all countries have a reciprocal diplomatic agreement for the exchange of intelligence data. If that's the case, then be aware you could be facing a long wait to get security clearance and overseas residents must have full SC before they can physically join.

If you've lived in China, Russia, Middle East or similar, be prepared for the fact there is likely to be a significant delay gaining SC.

In addition, you'll probably need a letter confirming you are not liable for military service in the Philippines from their military & a letter off the Oz military confirming you have no former military service & are therefore not subject to a recall under their reserve forces act.