Joining in 2 years. Start getting fit now?

newtothesite

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys, first of all, I'm thinking of joining up. However, it probably won't be for two years (After I finish 6th Form). I was just wondering, should I think about getting fit already? I have 12 weeks free time across the Summer, and thought I could put that time to good use. I've been told to do things like 1 mile runs, gradually building it up a mile at a time, and then running with a heavy bag. I guess this just helps stamina wise. Will something like this actually be effective though? If so, would you recommend I put the 12 weeks to improving my fitness, even though there's a long period of time before I join?

Also, if anyone else has any tips, then that will be appreciated! :biggrin:

Grimesy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
welcome to the site fella. firstly id forget running with a bag mate, even if you were going into training next week id say dont bother, only because some things you will get plenty of in recruit training and running with weight is one area.

basically what you wana do is just concentrate on running at 7 minute miles at a distance of 3 - 4 miles, do that a few times a week and once youve cracked that do maybe a 6 miler at that pace at least once a week.

also upper body strength is important so plenty of pressups, sittups, chinups.

dont forget you need to get fit to get in, once your in then your fitness will be worked on every day, so again stuff like running with weight aint really important.

newtothesite

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
OK mate thanks for the advice. Would you bother thinking about it so early? I just thought the 12 weeks could be put to really good use.

Grimesy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
theres no harm in training early, suppose if you keep it up and train hard when it comes to it you should fly through the prmc. go for it mate

newtothesite

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
OK then that's what I want to here. I think I'll do a mile sometime next week and record my time just for the hell of it.

Grimesy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thats it mate, youre only just starting to train so get the distances under your belt, once you can run 3 miles without struggling like *text deleted**text deleted* then start to time yourself. dont expect too much too quickly *text deleted* it can dishearten you. took me months of running before i was running at 7 min miles and i play footie saturdays and sundays!!

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'm Going to be joining in 3 - 4 years hopefully and im already doing intense training, Been going for the gym for over a year now, And yes id certainly say get training!, The marines aint a walk!, Its going to be bloody hard mate so the more training you do the more prepared you will be and the more pain you will be able to take as you have been used to it in training!.

Good luck!
Sam

Floyd

Reaction score
Personally i think you should train atleast twice a week if you can at your stage, i just finished my A-Levels and im focusing on training but im gash man... i dont have a base level of fitness just yet.

I would suggest that some exercise now would be ideal, then when you finish your A-Level's you can increase it a notch or two and become a monster before or during application with the RM.

I sat on my arse doing nothing, not even studying in A-Levels and i wish i used that time to get ready, but 3/4 through my last year i only just realised i wanted to be a RM. :uglyhammer:

Anyway dude, dont push yourself hard and mad just test yourself, train on improving, for running/stamina i would suggest Fartlek as it's very good and satisfying when your legs turn to mush. hehe kidding. Also make sure your proficient in swimming, if not go with some mates once a week and do some breaststroke then mess around with em, since you got 2 years to do it.

When it is nearing the end of your first and second year i would start pushing yourself, dont go mad just make valuable use of the time you have, make sure you eat healthy, cut down on crisps,sweets,fizzy drinks, take aways etc. Drink lots of water before, during and after your workout as you may sweat alot or just get dehydrated generally, water helps you keep going.

I cant think of much else right now, but im sure this is probably enough to help you out or atleast get you on your feet.

newtothesite

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys I've taken in all your advice. I'm definately going to start some steady training next week.

Bobby Young

Reaction score
I'm not joining til this time next year buddy and like you im doing a-levels, just train at a comfortable pace to improve on your weaknesses so that, when it comes down to about a year left you can beast it to make sure you the fittest you can be before the RM show you what being fit really is!! :)

Good luck!

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
welcome to the site fella. firstly id forget running with a bag mate, even if you were going into training next week id say dont bother, only because some things you will get plenty of in recruit training and running with weight is one area.

basically what you wana do is just concentrate on running at 7 minute miles at a distance of 3 - 4 miles, do that a few times a week and once youve cracked that do maybe a 6 miler at that pace at least once a week.

also upper body strength is important so plenty of pressups, sittups, chinups.

dont forget you need to get fit to get in, once your in then your fitness will be worked on every day, so again stuff like running with weight aint really important.
You should not run with a bag, due to the fact that he probably wont know how to load correctly, if he just puts weight in, it will start to hurt his back and cause seriouos/permanant injury

DONT RUN WITH A BACKPACK ON UNTIL YOU KNOW HOW TO LOAD CORRECTLY

TheYeti

Reaction score
Why not go RMR in the meantime? Probably a good way to spend your 2 yeas hanging around waiting to join the regs?

Or are you restricted by your age / education situation?

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
There's never any harm in training early just watch out you don't injure yourself; I decided to go to uni before joining up and took up MMA to help with my fitness/motivation for training whilst studying, then i got a back injury in a fight that put off joining up for a couple of years so now i'm an old man (25) and just about to join. :mad:

newtothesite

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Haha OK then I won't load up a bag :bigsmile:. Didn't think I'd get this many replies though, thanks. And yeah, the reason I'm not joining now is because of education.

If I am allowed to ask, do people give out their MSN addresses on here?? Would be cool to chat about stuff.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
good age is apprently 16-33! *text deleted* average pass out age is 19 i think.
men reach their physical peak at 22 on average and you can only serve 22yrs or so, so it helps to have a fall back (education/vocation). My thinking was i wanted to get used to civvy life first (rent/working etc) so it's not such a shock when i come back out (i'm hoping to go career) so for me my ideal age would have been 20-22 but it's all a matter of preference i guess.
*text deleted* just want to add the fight was in a ring not some bollox street fight. :fight: