Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Featured joining process for me

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Landy2019, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Landy2019

Landy2019 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Hey guys, I know a few people have written about their application to get into the RM and their joining process as a whole, but I thought I might shed a bit of light on my experience in trying to get in as I start RT in the September 9th batch.

For me in started in September of 2018 last year once I had gotten my results. In hindsight I would have started the application a lot earlier than then, but I was still undecided as to whether I was going in as a YO or General Duties Marine. However, I decided to go down the YO route and my application went along surprisingly quickly until I reached the medical. I can imagine many of your reading this probably stumbled here as well, but I fell hard and flat on my face. I was initially failed because of a blood issue I had had when I was a baby and didn't even know I had; so a tip would be to print out your medical history and give it a good read over before you submit anything and to also nip things in the bud by getting signed letters from your doctor or GP that you are fine or like in my case you can be delayed for months and it can be VERY expensive.

Once I got through this though fast forwarding from early to mid April I was really looking forward to POC, however, and if any YO's are reading this I can't recommend strongly enough that you go on a POV (potential officers visit) or if you aren't a YO you have a go at the look at life course. The POV from my experience was a great induction into the potential life as a YO and gave you the chance to have a chat and train with recently passed out YO's. Along with this you get the chance to chat with serving marines who give a different perspective on what training and life after passing out is like. The main thing I took from this course and chatting to people all the way up to Lt col and what Caversham has recently posted on the forum is this sense of Brotherhood and a willingness to be bold and stick you neck out for your buddies or the people in charge; something I hadn't quite got my head around, but admired massively and can't wait to be a part of.

After the POV I booked on to the 19th May POC and ended up having the hardest three days of my life, but also some of the most rewarding. I won't get into details because there are some guys who have written about it really well before me. I ended up getting a pass on the POC, but not a strong enough one to be put through to the AIB and was suggested to wait a year for the YO 2020 batch. However, I gave it some thought and a green lid is a green lid for me no matter what the rank and I find myself to eager to try and become a Royal Marine to wait a year in the hope I get accepted and I don't regret that decision what so ever.

With regards to why I failed, I think it was purely my perceived limits I thought I was training at just wasn't high enough and after the POC I know I could've done better. So I would recommend training or asking your parent or mates to watch and add some pressure to your exercise because on the second day of that POC there wasn't a second I wasn't breathing out my *text deleted* so be prepared for that with PRMC included in that statement as well.

So to round off my tips for applying and the training would be to:
    1. get your medical info sorted early and get any letters from GP's attached and sent off as it will speed it up so much as they seem to fail you for nearly anything
    2. make sure you know what and most importantly WHY you signing up it stumps a lot of people it seems in interviews and chats when it should be the easiest question
    3. train smart and hard!! keep a log book of your results and make sure you see improvement week on week an if you don't ask for help and try something different.
    Sorry if that wasn't detailed enough, but I hope some of you can take something from that and anyone in my batch on September 9th dm if you want to get in touch before hand.

Good luck and cheers!

• Like Like x 7
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A training partner, whether they run with you or remain static and time you, can be a big motivator to squeeze out more effort. My own training partner is in his seventies; he cycles and I run. I only train with him once a week because I'm hanging out by the end.

Best of luck with RT. Let us know how you get on.

3. IslandMum

IslandMum Member

App Stage:
    Parent

Thank you for sharing your story. My nod joined the 9th September intake too. Best of luck to you all!