Joining RMR as a firefighter

gumpo

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m looking for anyone who’s joined the RMR whilst working whole time for the fire service or anyone on a 4on4off shift schedule?

ive been given permission by my brigade to join the reserves but our policy is geared towards AR commitment levels rather than RMR. I could potentially have enough time off by using my standard leave for the weekends required for RMR but the weekly drill nights would be a massive struggle.
Is there much leeway with the drill nights or is it the same as the weekends that you have to attend all of them.

thanks in advance!

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m looking for anyone who’s joined the RMR whilst working whole time for the fire service or anyone on a 4on4off shift schedule?

ive been given permission by my brigade to join the reserves but our policy is geared towards AR commitment levels rather than RMR. I could potentially have enough time off by using my standard leave for the weekends required for RMR but the weekly drill nights would be a massive struggle.
Is there much leeway with the drill nights or is it the same as the weekends that you have to attend all of them.

thanks in advance!
Army reserve has a much less commitment and better options for a Shift working job.
There is little to no leeway with RMR Recruit training. Miss 2 weekends and you’re backtrooped. Drill nights are the same, it’s a requirement to maintain the fitness training and get the lectures and training in for the upcoming training weekend.

You will be required to do every second weekend as a recruit. I’ve only ever know a couple of lads to manage emergency services and RMR as ex Regulars or trained ranks.
They tend to be good with extra leave for a Reserve forces policy with 2 weeks for annual training.

Fyrelynx

Reaction score
While not a firefighter I work 4 on 4 off, my company have agreed to give me 10 days for training in the year, this will no where near cover what I'll need, I've saved up extra holiday days and will probably take unpaid days too.

gumpo

Reaction score
Thanks all. AR seems the more sensible option but I need to give RMR a crack, I’ll regret it otherwise. Going to put a email in my station commander and put forward a case for myself getting some unpaid leave.

Our commissioner signed a covenant with the armed forces with emphasis on the brigade supporting reserve staff so fingers crossed this works in my favour.

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The only problem with that is training. They are pretty strict about attending all the training weekends and you will need to take 2 full weeks off work at the end of phase 1 of training and the same at the end of phase 2.Thats why you don't see many fire fighters in the reserves.
During training it is a huge commitment for the reserves if you miss anything you will have to wait a year to catch up. Ive had MET police in the process but because of shifts had to leave.
im not saying its not possible as im sure some can be flexible but its hard.

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
Whilst I agree with the majority of the above eg. weekends are compulsory as you learn a lot and have ongoing assessments. Get nights can be have some flexibility - however, there are lots of variables/caveats with that comment. Communication is key I would recommend speaking to the Unit's recruitment team and see if there is any flexibility/middle ground and take it from there.

RMR shouldn't be underestimated - however, only you know your motivations, determination and abilities. potential outmodes - you pass with your troop, you get backed troop (this is common), you give it a go and have to drop out or you don't go for it and have regret....

gumpo

Reaction score
@R4Robotics cheers mate, the last thing you said sums it up completely, it’s going to be a hard graft to work it around my job but I’ll regret it if I don’t try. Haven’t put any annual leave in this year (which the wife is mega pleased with ) so the plan will be just to find a way to get through each month as it comes.