Joining the Marines, need an advice.

Tomek

Reaction score
Hi lads,
I need an advice from you which regards joining the marines. I am planning to go to the university mainly because my parents think I should go there first to get a degree, and I don't really know what I should do. Should I go to the uni first, get a degree there and then join the marines or just join the marines straight away?

Regards,
Tomek.

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Do what you feel is right for you, don't let anyone tell you how to live your life :notrust:

PaddyTheManc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you *text deleted* be an officer go to uni, you get paid alot more with a degree, if your going comando (so to speak) go strait in.

RM-Mum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Could be because I'm a mum and probably see your parents point of view, but I would say go to Uni and get your degree.

Am presuming you're still in the sixth form and are about 17/18?

The advice I gave to my own son was, to take all that you can from education, while you're young and you can. If you're academically capable of studying at degree level - do it.

Uni only takes up three years of your life and once you've got your degree - it's yours for the rest of your life, nobody can take it away from you. You'll still only be 21 when you graduate, and still have another 11 years in front of you before you're too old to apply for the RM's.

As for ending up with a load of student debt - it doesn't have to be like that. Student loans do have to be paid back, but not until you're earning a certain amount. I don't think the amount my son pays back is excessive - he doesn't notice it.

It's much easier to study for a degree when you're young, rather than as a mature student. It's hard to go from a reasonable salary to living on a student loan, not to mention all the other commitments, financial or otherwise, you'll inevitabley take on as you get older.

Look on your degree as another 'string to your bow'. One that you might or might not need one day. If you never need it, then you've had three years at Uni (I've never met anyone who regrets going to uni, met plenty who wish they had when they had the opportunity) and all the 'right of passage' experiences that go with it.

However, should the day come when you do need a degree qualification, you'll be very glad you've got it.

None of us know what tomorrow will bring. Ask anyone in over the age of 35 if their life has panned out the way they thought it would when they were 18. Most will tell you it hasn't.

I understand the average length of service throughout the forces is 6 or 7 years. That's not very long. You may absolutely love the life as a RM and serve 20 years. On the other hand, you might not. You won't know for sure until those 20 years have passed.

Much as you might love your future career in the RM, have you given any thought to what direction you would like your life to take if something was to happen should your RM career was curtailed for any reason. These situations can and do occur.

Preparation and contigency plans, never hurt anyone.

I don't to come across as a harbinger of doom and gloom (honest!), but don't miss out on something that could be of benefit to you, because of the impatience of youth.

On a final note (sorry this has been so long), there are many OR's with degrees. Both the RM's who were killed last week had degrees under their belts before joining up. My son was one of only six originals who passed out on his KS day. Three of the six had degrees.

Whatever you decide - good luck.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The advice I gave to my own son was, to take all that you can from education, while you're young and you can. If you're academically capable of studying at degree level - do it.

What a fantastic bit of advice, I completely agree. :applaus:

Tomek

Reaction score
And now from a student in his 3rd n final year of uni....

Depends what subject you plan on taking and if it will lead to a career. If its going to be a crap subject like art (im doing music) or drama or anything thats got no career potential Id just join straight up. I wouldnt bother getting into 20k debt just for bumming about (unless you want a career as an officer in RMC)

I was going to study Mechanical Engineering. That's one of the subjects I would be good at, but uni wouldn't take 3 yrs but 5 yrs to get a Master degree, because I think if I'm going to study then I should get a master's degree. And i also was thinking of becoming an officer rather than commando, so I actually think uni might be better. I'll think it over. Anyway thanks for the reply. Regards.

Tomek.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Good Advice

Completing your degree is good advice.

However, you need to weigh up the pros and cons with this path, such as:

Will you leave Uni with an amount of debt?
How much debt will you have to repay?
Will it still be worth it?

If the answer is still yes to the last question then go for it.

Once upon a time a degree was always the way to go. However, these days its not always feasable. I know one guy who did his degree and later became a carpet fitter!

I know many others who went onto do more worthwhile jobs, that spun off from completing their degree successfully..

Its never an easy decision and you really do need to weigh up the pros and cons.

I think, if it was me. I'd write down all the positives and negatives of each option and then make a decision and follow it through.

Cheers

Steve

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Again fully concur with the advice regarding furthering your education & gaining life skills.

To put it into perspective a recent Other Rank troop had 19 graduates out of 55 starting Recruit Training. The average Troop has at least two.

Approximately 80% 0f RM Officers join with a degree- BUT the fact that you have a degree only means you are eligible to apply (if you have the GCSE's and A Levels) it certainly doesn't mean you will pass selection. Most successful RM Officers are in the top 5% of UK academic achievers, have usually represented their county of higher in sports, already have excellent organisational skills before they join and have top-scoring AIB potential to be trained as leaders.

Aspiring Officers, despite being the cream of the crop with regard their peer group, are frequently used to being told by their family & friends that they are brilliant. These potential Officers are very often surprised to be told by the SNCO Commando training team, whilst in training, that actually they were a little bit crap at some things after all. The common failing is that some fail to have realistic aspirations or expectations of how difficult the job is and how good you need to be.

aethefox

Reaction score
my brother always wanted to become a rock ape like me dad, but he was pushed to going to uni first as hes the only smart one in the family -.- .

he enjoyed the first year but uni wasnt what he really wanted and thinks about joining up all the time and now cant wait to leave uni.

i say join up while your young.

you can get a degree anytime, heck my boss did his on the computer and only had to go into uni when he needed new assignments.

Mark_Hancock

Reaction score
A word of advice do not let what your parents say affect you!!

My dad wish's i do not join but i want to so i wont let that change my decision!

My mum does not wish for me to join neither but supports my decision as its what i wish to do.

An insight into what i done after passing my GCSE'S i went to do my a levels and didn't pass my first year as my heart was not in it. i then spent a year loosing 5-stone to join the marines as i realized its what i wanted to do!

Let your heart make the decision not others!

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What i say is 100% deffonatly do A-leveles, at the moment you will struggle, but still get a job with no A levels, however 5 yars down the line and A levels are compulsary. You will not be looked at twice without them.

I would then say is if you do not feel ready for going in to Uni at the moment, maybe have a gap year and join in a year.

But what you should not do is go because eveyone else does it, personally i have more respect for the guy who says i dont need to go to Uni because i do not need a degree for what i want to do in life, as opposed to the guy who does it just because he can.

At the end of the day, look past the end of your nose, you may not get into the Marines, through whatever eason that may be. And at some point you WILL have to leave it, and you will need something to fall back on.

Think of what else you want to do in life, or what you enjoy doing at te moment, and take that on at Uni if you don't know what to do.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
You need grades to fall back on, they are like a back up plan if things go tits up during training. I think getting qualifications before signing up is a more sensible way of approaching it. I mean come on, this is'nt the most normal job in the world and you can get seriously injured whilst doing it and that may force you to quit and return to civvy street. You will have a massive advantage if you already have some grades in your pocket, then you won't have to spend the later years of your life in education. It just makes things easier and is a more sensible option in my view.

New Threads