Joining the RMR so far

Broadsword55

Reaction score
AFCO:

Going to the AFCO for the first time can be a little daunting, my advice is that firstly you look presentable. This doesn't necessarily mean wearing a suit (I wore my sports clothes), just try not to look like you've been abusing solvents. If you're reading this then you probably want to join the Royal Marines so either inform them of that of look for careers in the Royal Navy. Keep an open mind and speak to a careers advisor who will guide you to any role you want as well as suggest ones you haven't considered or are in short supply. This will give you an opportunity to have a nice chat and get to know about your required role and give you the opportunity to ask questions.

NSRT:

The Naval Service Recruitment Test is very easy if you're remotely intelligent although the pass mark is apparently 50%, try to almost get full marks like myself which will stand you in good stead as when there is a surplus of candidates it is paramount to not just pass the tests but to smash them. Turning up, it is easy to differentiate who is applying to be an RN officer and who is applying to be a rating. The officer candidates will undoubtedly be wearing suits, be fairly confident and sound privately educated. When you go in, be confident. When someone asks you for something answer clearly. Don't stand with your hands in your pockets and your legs in a twist. Just sit down and relax and just answer clearly when asked and not quietly. It is advised that you put everything onto your portal beforehand and bring the necessary documents with you so bc, passport, NI number and education certificate. As for the test itself, just be fast and use your brain. Don't sit around on a question if you can't do it and don't relax or slow down. Failure to put an answer for a question will get you no points on that question. After the NSRT you'll have a chat with an appropriate individual who will tell you how you did and ask you some questions about yourself. This can be test but provided you have a pulse then you should pass.

Interview:

My interview could not have gone better. I was passed straight away at the end of the interview and received 10 minutes of just compliments at the end. Now to have interview like this you need to do several things.

Firstly you need to be doing good things before you start in the years leading up. Don't just start doing things a month before. For example the Royal Marines thrives in discipline and punctuality so when you're at work or school be perfect. Not necessarily academically but always show up on time and don't be a trouble maker. Get awards from your school or work to show that you worked hard and did as you were told. Also try and take responsibility and run something yourself. Run to be head boy or depute head or a prefect or something. Set up your own club and make it do well. Whilst a rating may not have too much power it is very desirable to have leadership qualities and have a reputation for being able to run things because that means you are responsible.

Physically prepare fully. Go onto Sean Lerwill's YouTube and do all the press ups, sit ups and pull ups until you can do them all to the max with perfect form to the end. Thorough physical preparation will make you stand out as a candidate since most people joining the RMR are not serious candidates. Running, just do it. Go and do a 5k fast run as part of your run every day until you get it down below 20 minutes. Additionally do long things like half marathons fairly regularly to show that you have that aerobic fitness. With the PJFT+, how I would prepare physically is doing iron wolf's YouTube workouts. If you can do them then the PJFT+ will be the easiest thing you've ever done. Also do the PJFT+ on YouTube before the interview. As for knowledge, learn everything and write it down. Will you need to say it all, definitely not but if you can recite it like a list then they can just tick that box. For example the cap badge question. The badge is called the globe and laurel. Globe was presented by King George *text deleted* in 1827 in place of the 109 battle honors, laurels for gallantry, Gibraltar for the battle, fouled anchor for relation to the navy and the motto per mare, per terram meaning by sea, by land etc. When it comes to weapons all you need to know is SA80A2 ACOG. You can list them like I did by then saying L110A1, L115A3, L7A2 but that isn't necessary.

Around the house make sure that you do your bit. Make sure you do your own ironing, keep your clean, make your bed etc if you are a younger applicant as it will show you are self sufficient. Do expeditions so do your DofE if you can up to gold, join the scouts which also makes the expeditions cheaper. Do wild camping on your own and do walks where you're going 50k a day. All of these will show you to be a good candidate well suited to the naval service and royal marines which is literally what the interview is for.

I hope this has helped so far.

Broadsword